× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Installation of Duo taking very long

rlamore
Aspirant

Installation of Duo taking very long

Hi all,

After deciding to re-use my old Duo Nas, I tried to perform a factory reset. I changed the Raid setup to Raid-1 and Raidar says it is busy installing ever since. This was 15 hours ago. I have two 2TB disks in the nas. Is it normal to take this long?

Kind regards
Message 1 of 5
tony359
Apprentice

Re: Installation of Duo taking very long

My experience is still very little but I'd love to contribute.
I don't believe so, the reset should wipe the disks, copy the OS and you're good to go. Have you tried trying again? Was that NAS working before? The OS is on the disks, if the disks are not working the OS wouldn't install.

Since you are reinstalling anyway - so no need to preserve the data - you could try reinstalling with just one disk to see if it works, maybe one disk is faulty and preventing the process from completing?
Message 2 of 5
rlamore
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply!

I unplugged the machine and restarted the factory reset process with just one disk. I chose X-Raid (this basically does the same thing as Raid-1, right?) and will add the second disk after it is finished installing.

It says 'Creating volume' now, so I guess its working.
Message 3 of 5
tony359
Apprentice

Adding the second disk will take a while, it should work straight away and I believe the process is shorter.

Can you access Frontview now?

X-Raid is a 'tweaked' version of Raid5 (I believe) which allows you to expand the unit if you replace the drives with bigger ones in the future. If you want the second drive to be redundant you'll have to tell Frontview that the next drive has to be redundant - and press APPLY. THEN, you put the drive in.

What firmware are you running on? Now it's the best time to upgrade your unit. Newer software may have improved the way the volumes are handled, but they won't convert/change an existing one. I would suggest you make your NAS running, upgrade the software and factory reset it.
Message 4 of 5
tony359
Apprentice

Ok, since I could not remember the exact sequence of events, I removed my drives from my RN Pro 6 (I'm still testing it, so nothing important on the drives) and stuck 2x400GB drives.

Here what happens

- Reboot holding RESET
- Enters BOOT menu, choose FACTORY DEFAULT
- Display says TESTING DRIVES; takes 30s or so
- Display says "INSTALLING FW" for just a few seconds, then AWAITING RAIDAR
- RAIDar says "click SETUP" where you select the RAID mode.
- Once RAID mode (XRAID2) is selected, unit says "INSTALLING FW for XRAID2 mode" for about 60s
- Display says "Creating C:" for 15s then BOOTING
- At this point it's the normal boot sequence, a few checks and the IP is requested. Th whole process takes 45s approx. When the unit displays the IP and the space available on C:, the unit is accessible.

RAIDar shows the same messages, with just a little delay. The unit is then up and running, but still re-syncing which will take a while. Bottom line, 3-4 minutes since I factory reset the thing.

Rebuilding a RAID will take 20+ hours, I would check the health of your drives, it should work as I listed above. And - again - as soon as the unit is up and running check the FW, update and do a factory reset again.

Hope that helps.
Thanks
Antonio

PS: the RN has completed the sync, it's taken 60 minutes approx.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements