× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding used HDD's to raid array

xbmcgotham
Tutor

Adding used HDD's to raid array

Hi,

just making sure i dont corrupt my raid.

i have a 4 disc array of 4+4+2+2 and want to replace the 2TB hdd's with 4TB hdd's.
the only thing is, the 4TB hdd's i have are taken out of a Synology NAS drive.

can i just replace the 2TB's with the used 4TB's one by one? or do i need to do something with the discs before adding? want to make sure not to corrupt the raid. Or does the readynas format the discs back to factory format automatically?

if i need to prepair the discs, any advice on what do and software to use. They are WD Reds.

thanks for advise.
Model: RND4000v2 (ReadyNAS NV+ v2)|READYNAS NV+ v2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Adding used HDD's to raid array

@xbmcgotham wrote:

can i just replace the 2TB's with the used 4TB's one by one?

Hot swapping the disks into your NAS should work.  As you say, do them one at a time (waiting for resync).

You can also zero them in a Windows PC (using lifeguard's erase function), or delete the partitions (with Windows Disk Manager).  Both methods unformat the disks, so the NAS will see them as blank.  That shouldn't be necessary, but does no harm.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@xbmcgotham wrote:

can i just replace the 2TB's with the used 4TB's one by one?

Hot swapping the disks into your NAS should work.  As you say, do them one at a time (waiting for resync).

You can also zero them in a Windows PC (using lifeguard's erase function), or delete the partitions (with Windows Disk Manager).  Both methods unformat the disks, so the NAS will see them as blank.  That shouldn't be necessary, but does no harm.

Message 2 of 9
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Thanks again for your quick response and helpful answer. have a nice weekend.
Message 3 of 9
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Hi @StephenB 

Would a quick erase (erasing only the first and last million blocks) be sufficient or does it need to be a full erase? Wondering as it would safe me 24 hours. You might know. 😉

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@xbmcgotham wrote:

Would a quick erase (erasing only the first and last million blocks) be sufficient or does it need to be a full erase? 

The quick erase is enough to remove the partitioning, and it does save a lot of time.

The full erase can sometimes uncover issues that the long generic test misses.  So that can be useful if you aren't sure about the disk condition.

Message 5 of 9
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Thanks for the tip! 🙂

Message 6 of 9
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Hi,

After many days it is finaly done. 🙂

However, with the last disc I am getting a failed expansion message. I have restarted the NAS, but not change. Not sure what to do. See attached log.

My total available space is 9TB for the 4 x 4 discs.

Have a nice weekend

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@xbmcgotham wrote:

However, with the last disc I am getting a failed expansion message. I have restarted the NAS, but not change. Not sure what to do. See attached log.

What was the starting size of the array?

There is an 8 TiB growth limit from the starting size of the volume.  You wouldn't have hit that if you started with 4x2TB, but if you'd started with something smaller (say 2x2TB) then you could have hit it. 

If you aren't sure, you can download the full log zip file, and then send a private message to the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) and ask them to analyze.  (put the zip into cloud storage - google drive, dropbox, etc, and include a downloadable link in your PM).  You send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.  Don't post your log zip publicly.

If that's the issue, unfortunately you'd need to to a factory derault with all disks in place, then reconfigure the NAS and reload the data from your backup.

Message 8 of 9
xbmcgotham
Tutor

Hi @StephenB 

Thanks again for responding.

I am not sure anymore what I had for configuration initially.

I think it was 4x 2TB, than I replace 2x 2TB with 2x 4TB. And finaly I also replace last week the last 2x 2TB with 2x 4TB.

This would than be ok I guess for the 8TB growth limit.

I shall make the log available and send a PM to the formentioned users.

Have a nice weekend.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements