× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Advice on upgrading from RND4000 NV+

wsoeldner
Aspirant

Advice on upgrading from RND4000 NV+

I love my NV+.  It has been the most reliable piece of hardware I have ever bought in regards to computing, networking, and storage.  It has run continuously and stored over 6TB of my personal files since 2008 without a single lost bit or byte.  It has travelled from Colorado to Germany and then Washington without a single problem over the years.  It has reliably informed me each time a disc was about to fail and given me ample time to hotswap and even upsize the disks and never a hiccup.

Unfortunately, it has one issue that I just can't live with anymore.  It is slow as friggin' molasses in January.  It wasn't a big deal back in 2008 but now I have reached the end of my patience trying to copy about 80GB over to it from my laptop before I upgrade to Win10.  I've tried various tips and tricks via this forum and others over the years to get a faster process but it still is very slow.  The fastest way I've found now is to backup directly to a SATA hard drive, then take the drive and plug it into the USB port of the NAS and transfer it that way.  This has the added benefit of keeping the data on the NAS available for access via the network as any large operation to the NAS over the network bogs it down.

Is there a faster alternative available that will allow me to pop my current disks (4 x 2TB SATA in X-RAID) in and continue on, but has a faster connectivity to my network?

Thanks.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

What you need to do is get a new NAS.  Even the entry level RN104 is a lot faster than the NV+  Though I'd recommend an RN200 or better.

Unfortunately you can't simply migrate the disks.  The CPU, RAID mode and the file system itself are all different from what you have.    

My suggestion is to get new disks for the new NAS, and then migrate data from the current one using rsync backup jobs.  Then repurpose the NV+ to a backup NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What you need to do is get a new NAS.  Even the entry level RN104 is a lot faster than the NV+  Though I'd recommend an RN200 or better.

Unfortunately you can't simply migrate the disks.  The CPU, RAID mode and the file system itself are all different from what you have.    

My suggestion is to get new disks for the new NAS, and then migrate data from the current one using rsync backup jobs.  Then repurpose the NV+ to a backup NAS.

Message 2 of 4
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi wsoeldner,

I agree with StephenB's suggestion. You can also check this NETGEAR article on how you can copy your data from your NV+ to a new OS 6 system.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
wsoeldner
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen.  I appreciate the feedback.

I've been checking it out and I think I will go with the RN314.  I like the flexibility of four bays and the HD capability.

Not happy that I'll have to copy everything over but it will be for the better, I guess.

Thanks again.

Warren

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements