× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: After ReadyNAS name change cannot access shares

TCHol95
Guide

After ReadyNAS name change cannot access shares

After a ReadyNAS name change I can no longer access shares.  It shows up on the network under the new name.  Can ping it by name and IP.  Just cannot access it from other network machines. 

Firmware is 6.6.0

Model: RN2120|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
TCHol95
Guide

Got it going finally.  Had to rename it, remove the original from AD, switch from AD authentication and then back and all is well.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you are using Windows clients, you likely need to go into the windows credentials manager and look for credentials using the old name.

If they are present, you can either edit them, or delete/recreate them.

Try this test:  Run command and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\new-nas-name\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real nas name and real nas admin password.  If you use flexraid, change "data" to your actual volume name.  Be careful on the typing.

That should mount the data volume as drive letter T.  If you get an error, try both commands again, but use the IP address instead of the name.

Message 2 of 9
TCHol95
Guide

Tried this, but didn't think it would work.  The shares don't show up at all even though the ReadyNAS does.  From Windows I get a network path not found error.  I have a second ReadyNAS and it sees the problem NAS without issue.  In fact I'm in the process of backing up the one I can't access to the second NAS in preparation for doing a factory reset on the problem device should it become necessary.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Usually this problem is related to windows credentials - if so a factory reset won't solve it.

Another simple test is to rename the NAS back to the original name, and see if the problem disappears.

Message 4 of 9
TCHol95
Guide

Well, I gave it the original name and when trying to access it got prompted for credentials, but the AD credentials were not working.  So, imported the AD accounts again and it rebooted on its own.  Now when I try to login to the interface it sits at the spash screen for about a minute then gives me the Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page.  From there it sits with VERY slow progress bar and eventually says the page is offline.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@TCHol95 wrote:

Well, I gave it the original name and when trying to access it got prompted for credentials, but the AD credentials were not working. 

I didn't realize you were using AD. That's likely related (but unfortunately I don't have enough practical experience with it to give you help on that).
Message 6 of 9
TCHol95
Guide

It may be related.  I'm moving everything off that unit to a new one and will probably factory reset this one just to start fresh with the new firmware.  I can remove all remnants of it in AD and see what happens.  Thanks for the replies.

Message 7 of 9
TCHol95
Guide

Got it going finally.  Had to rename it, remove the original from AD, switch from AD authentication and then back and all is well.

Message 8 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi TCHol95,

I'm glad that the problem is now resolved. 🙂   With regard to this, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements