× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Array will not resync

Blanker-2
Guide

Array will not resync

Something happened, not sure what.  My array started resyncing.  It's done this about 3 times so far and it usually completes after about 60 hours or so.  This time though, it's not completing.  At around halfway through the resyncing process the admin page becomes non responsive.  It lets me log in via the IP on Chrome but then just hangs at the Netgear Readynas logo page.  I cannot get into the nas. The light on the nas is steady blue.  I unplugged the nas, it started resyncing and does the same thing.  I've done this 3 times so far.

After the second time, I then got 9 emails from my nas stating that it's detecting increasing reallocated sector counts on disk 2. (23 times).  My guess is that disk 2 is bad and it cannot resync the array.

My plan is this, I'm going to try to get back into the nas and hope to sync my nas data to my backup array (before it hits 50% and freezes).  Then, I will stop spanning my array between the rn 102 and the eda500.  I'll distroy the current setup and then create 2 separate arrays for each enclosure, and replace disk 2.  

Any opinions or advice would help this noob.  Is there a proper way to replace a bad disk?  Just turn it off, pop out the old and in with the new, and then turn on?

Thank you

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay,RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Array will not resync

@Blanker-2 wrote:

Any opinions or advice would help this noob.  Is there a proper way to replace a bad disk?  Just turn it off, pop out the old and in with the new, and then turn on?

I recommend doing a hot-swap (pop out the old disk, then insert the new one with the NAS running).  If the new one is formatted, you'll need to format it on the NAS volume page before it is added to the array.

@Blanker-2 wrote:

After the second time, I then got 9 emails from my nas stating that it's detecting increasing reallocated sector counts on disk 2. (23 times).  My guess is that disk 2 is bad and it cannot resync the array.

My plan is this, I'm going to try to get back into the nas and hope to sync my nas data to my backup array (before it hits 50% and freezes). 

Try downloading the log zip file, and look at the smart stats for all the drives (either smart_history.log or disk_info.log).  Perhaps also look for disk errors in system.log or kernel.log 

If the only problem is disk 2, you could try simply removing that.  The array would be unprotected (unless you are running RAID-6), but that's no worse than your situation when it is resyncing. Then you could complete your backup and then insert the replacement disk.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Blanker-2 wrote:

I recommend doing a hot-swap (pop out the old disk, then insert the new one with the NAS running).  If the new one is formatted, you'll need to format it on the NAS volume page before it is added to the array.

@Blanker-2 wrote:

My plan is this, I'm going to try to get back into the nas and hope to sync my nas data to my backup array (before it hits 50% and freezes). 

Try downloading the log zip file, and look at the smart stats for all the drives (either smart_history.log or disk_info.log).  Perhaps also look for disk errors in system.log or kernel.log 

If the only problem is disk 2, you could try simply removing that.  The array would be unprotected (unless you are running RAID-6), but that's no worse than your situation when it is resyncing. Then you could complete your backup and then insert the replacement disk.

Message 2 of 4
Blanker-2
Guide

Thanks again Steph B.  Yes, I'm running RAID 6, in flex raid.  I've had the nas for about a year now and it's resynced about 5 times.  I'm thinking that perhaps it's the disks or the fact that I'm spanning one volume across both enclosures.  I've tested disks that the nas says are bad, and they are all fine.  I don't know.

Right now it's actually not rebuilding at all so I cannot access it.  The blue light has not stopped flashing since I unplugged it about 24 hours ago.  I really need to just get access to the files.  Once I've backed them up then I can play jazzz with the thing.

I will try removing disk 2 and see what happens.

Message 3 of 4
Blanker-2
Guide

StephenB: 

"If the only problem is disk 2, you could try simply removing that........."

This was the answer.  Thank you StephenB.  I unplugged/replugged in the nas, was able to get into it, pulled the suspect disk and the system immediately came back to life.  I was able to sync up data to my backup.  I have another disk ready to go in today.  That suspect disk was the same one that was giving me problems in December.  Even though I ran extensive Seatools test on it and it all came back fine, apparently the RN102 has a problem with it.  I've really had it with Seagate drives.  I have a fairly new HGST drive I'll pop in.  See how that goes.
Thanks again.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements