× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Back up problems to USB Drive

JustKJ
Aspirant

Back up problems to USB Drive

Hello all,

After problem with my NAS (Fixed nicely by a level 3 tech), I woke up to the merits of backing up a ReadyNAS to a USB drive to keep offsite. I have a ReadyNAS NV+ V1 (Radiator 4.1.1) and just purchased a 3TB Seagate Expansion desktop drive.

All excited, I created three back up jobs and set them to run using the Front USB, when the Backup Button is pushed. I plugged in the new drive...and it started and ended in a flash with three status emails about failure.

Most you know what I found out. The drive was pre-formatted in NTFS which is not recognized by the NAS beyond noticing it was attached. I used Frontview to format the drive in EXT3. Again, most of you have know that the it created a 1.89TB partition (just learned in a different forum topic that the V1 can only use 2TB USB drives.

I can live with that for now. So I pressed the backup button again and this time it took 10 minutes for the back up to crater and send emails with error messages.

I down loaded the logs and all three show the same thing. Below are the first few lines from one of the backup log files. The remainder of the file repeats those lines with different directory or file names. {edit 1} I just added the USB device log portion for the drive. [Edit 2] I just completed a Frontview Filesystem check on the US drive and there were no errors. [Edit 3] I added the bottom lines of the back up log as that may point to the problem. "Error encountered copying data from source path".

Any thoughts or nest steps to try?

========================
Backup Log
========================

FULL Backup started. Fri Jan 25 21:21:32 CST 2013

Job: 001
Protocol: local
Source: [Group]/
Destination: [USB_HDD_2]/

`./Thumbs.db' -> `/USB_HDD_2/Thumbs.db'
cp: cannot create regular file `/USB_HDD_2/Thumbs.db': Read-only file system
`./SafariSetup.exe' -> `/USB_HDD_2/SafariSetup.exe'
cp: cannot create regular file `/USB_HDD_2/SafariSetup.exe': Read-only file system
cp: cannot create directory `/USB_HDD_2/Priority': Read-only file system
cp: cannot create directory `/USB_HDD_2/.AppleDB': Read-only file system
cp: cannot create directory `/USB_HDD_2/Scans': Read-only file system
cp: preserving times for `/USB_HDD_2/.': Read-only file system

Backup failed. Fri Jan 25 21:21:34 CST 2013.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from source path ==> /USB_HDD_2/ due to unknown reason. Please see log.

============================
USB Device Log
============================

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=02 Cnt=01 Dev#= 8 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
😧 Ver= 2.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0bc2 ProdID=3320 Rev= 1.00
S: Manufacturer=Seagate
S: Product=Expansion Desk
S: SerialNumber=NA4JGXXA
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
Message 1 of 3
JustKJ
Aspirant

Re: Back up problems to USB Drive

Update

On a whim, I rebooted the NAS and fired off the backup button. And...it appears to be backing up! I will post back when all three jobs compete and I can verify that it did back up the data.

I am not sure why it did not work the first time. I am sure I did nothing other than reboot the NAS (did not even unplug the USB Drive). I am not sure why it is working this time.

So, I am still interested in any thoughts the experts have as to why it did not work the first time.
Message 2 of 3
JustKJ
Aspirant

Re: Back up problems to USB Drive

Ok, my back up finished and I have another question to add, but will add it as a new topic as it is more of a How to. Everything seems good, just took forever. USB 2 is the new slow.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements