× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backing up Windows 10 PC to RN526X

Jetlag1
Guide

Backing up Windows 10 PC to RN526X

I just upgraded to a RN526X from a ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro. Set it up as X-RAID and RAID 6, then used Rsync to copy all of the data from the PP to the 526X. After many, many hours of first syncing and then copying it all completed without errors. Awesome. Also have my favorite add-ons up and running.

Now I am trying to backup my Windows 10 PC to the 526X and am having issues.

For as long as I can recall I have used Teracopy Pro to do 'incremental' backups to the PP from my PC. I would highlight the folder or drive to backup using Windows Explorer, then drag it to the PP folder or share (also in Windows Explorer) and select "Teracopy here". It would quickly ask if I wanted to overwrite an existing file with the one I am copying there and I would click on "newer only" and "apply to all". Piece of cake. When it completed and did a verify it would report any errors. Not automatic, but it worked well for me.

I tried the same thing using the 526X and I get nothing but permission errors stating that I need admin permission to access the target. It skips anything existing and will not allow me to overwrite any older files or folders. Trying to copy a single folder this way produced >1000 "target access denied" errors.

Using Windows Explorer I attempted to regain permission by right clicking one 526X share folder, then using 'properties', 'security', change access to "Full Control", but it would not allow me to. I am logged into Windows as the Administrator.

How do I get my old functionality back else get ownership of my data back?

Else is there a better way to do my incremental backups? Open to ideas but am comfortable with the method that I have been using.

I am the only user of my PC and NAS, no one else has access to either.  Thanks.

Model: RN526X| ReadyNAS 526X 6-Bay with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backing up Windows 10 PC to RN526X

Did you try accessing the NAS backup destination using the NAS admin credentials?

For instance, run CMD and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

Using the real IP address and nas admin password.  Be careful on the spaces and the slash direction.

The first command terminates any open network sessions.   The second maps the full NAS data volume to drive letter t.  (If your volume isn't called data, you'll need to use your volume name where I put \data above).

Message 2 of 9
Jetlag1
Guide

I tried the steps outlined above running CMD as administrator. It displayed "The command completed successfully". I then tried to copy newer files from my PC to overwrite the ones on the 526X, still says access is denied.

Message 3 of 9
Jetlag1
Guide

I tried to simply drag and drop a few files to it, but my new 526X that I am the administrator and sole user of will not allow me to copy files to it after the original RSYNC data copy from my older Pioneer Pro. Says "Target access denied". This is really frustrating.

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I am thinking the rsync copy created a permissions issue on the new NAS.

Try the settings wheel for the one of the shares that isn't working, and click on the file access tab.  Then click on the reset (bottom left).

After the file owner/group and permissions are reset, try your copy test again.

Message 5 of 9
Jetlag1
Guide

I am on the road working until late Monday night, I will give that a try on Tuesday and get back to you. Thanks.

Message 6 of 9
Jetlag1
Guide

I think this may have worked, will post later when I have time.

Message 7 of 9
Jetlag1
Guide

That worked, thanks!

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad everything's up and running.

Your older pro and your new RN526x set up linux accounts using a different range of UID/GIDs. 

I use my older NAS for backup, and avoid this problem by making sure the account owner/group isn't guest on any NAS share (primary or backup).  Note that on the pro, that means not using nobody and noguest as the owner/group either.

Setting the owner/group to admin/admin works for me - if you use a different local NAS account, make sure the UID and GID matches on both systems.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements