× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backing up to Ready Nas

mumbles
Aspirant

Backing up to Ready Nas

I have 4 HDD;s in my Computer that I will backup to the RN104 each drive is 4TB and I have a 4TB to put in the RN 104 how long will it take? do do each Drive if they all have about 2.5 TB of data.

Mumbles

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backing up to Ready Nas

It depends on how you back them up, and also if you want to verify the copy.

The write speed of the RN104 is about 50 MB/s, so it won't go faster than that.  That means it will take at least 14 hours to transfer 2.5 TB. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It depends on how you back them up, and also if you want to verify the copy.

The write speed of the RN104 is about 50 MB/s, so it won't go faster than that.  That means it will take at least 14 hours to transfer 2.5 TB. 

Message 2 of 13
mumbles
Aspirant

Thanks for that I assume it will take the same time to format and load the drives the first time doing One drive at a time I will format the drive in the NAS the transfer all the files from the computer to the NAS . So about 3-4 days allowing for the odd sleep session

Mumbles

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Probably a good estimate for planning purposes.

The NAS will take some time to create the full RAID array, but you should be able to start storing to it before that is done.

Message 4 of 13
mumbles
Aspirant

I don't want raid I want one HDD for say Music which I will back up to another drive to be stored off site . So if using the 104 can I load bays 1,2&3 with blank HDD's Transfer from the computer the files there to the drives in the 104 saving the fourth bay for backing up one drive at a time.so they are swappable if and when one crashes . Doing the same with the second box . Putting them into the Router on separate RJ45 ports then being able to access all files on both RN104's from any computer on the home network? At this time I have 5 drives with data that I want on the network

Mumbles

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@mumbles wrote:

I don't want raid I want one HDD for say Music which I will back up to another drive to be stored off site . So if using the 104 can I load bays 1,2&3 with blank HDD's Transfer from the computer the files there to the drives in the 104 saving the fourth bay for backing up one drive at a time.so they are swappable if and when one crashes . Doing the same with the second box . Putting them into the Router on separate RJ45 ports then being able to access all files on both RN104's from any computer on the home network? At this time I have 5 drives with data that I want on the network

Mumbles

I'm not sure I see the question here.  But yes, you would be able to access all the files on both RN104s from any computer on the home network.

JBOD is fine if you don't need or want RAID redundancy.  But I recommend using external drives for your off-site storage.

Message 6 of 13
mumbles
Aspirant

Yes I am using the RN104 as "Just a Box Of Drives" Are you saying that this is under using the RN104 and I should do more With it? But I just want to load the drives in it and park it near the router an forget it except when Backing it up and adding new files to it. Will the unit work as a NAS with 4 drives full of vid and music ? It will show up as the NAS drive on all computer in the Home network Click on it the 4 HDD's will show up I can choose one drive and I can select a file from the index of the drive? The reason I am asking all these dumb questions is so I know what I am getting my self into . The main reason I want this unit is to store all files in one place and to reduce power usage. I believe that the RN104 will have a foot print of under 200 W in full flight where the Computers I am using at this have 550W each now so by using the RN104 I save around 350W. Next step is to replace the TV's with units that work from the Home Network direct through RJ45 cable

MUMBLES

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

On power use, if you use 4 WD40EFRX you should be seeing around 30 watts, nowhere close to 200. The power brick is 12 vt/5 amp, so it is limited to ~60 watts max.  

In JBOD mode with 4 drives, the RN104 would have 4 jbod volumes.

Just like windows, the network paths for the shares across all these volumes don't include the volume (e.g., drive) name.  They do include the device name or IP address.  For instance, videos might be on volume data and music on volume data2.  But the users only see \\rn104\videos and \\rn104\music.

If you use admin credentials in the clients you can see the volumes themselves.  Which means that in addition to seeing \\rn104\videos and \\rn104\music, you'd see \\rn104\data and \\rn104\data2.  Videos would also appear as a folder under data, and music would also appear as a folder under data2.

The reason for my earlier comment is that you are apparently planning to regularly insert/remove hard drives into the NAS - that is, inserting a disk into one of the internal drive bays, writing files to it, then removing it and storing it off site.  You shouldn't do that.  Instead you should use USB 3 drives for your offsite storage, and keep the internal disks in place.

Message 8 of 13
mumbles
Aspirant

OK thanks I will leave it there for a while untill I have a problem

Ta much

Mumbles

Message 9 of 13
mumbles
Aspirant

OK I am back I have one 4TB Drive in the 104 ready to load with data the drive was reformatted and is blank. I have misplaced the USB 3 cable and have ordered a e-SATA cable should be here this week. I am planing on using that till I find or buy another USB3, Once I have the HDD connected to the 104 do I just push the back up button? and to do the next drive I load the second drive format it and unplug the first and repeat the back up ?

M

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@mumbles wrote:

OK I am back I have one 4TB Drive in the 104 ready to load with data the drive was reformatted and is blank. I have misplaced the USB 3 cable and have ordered a e-SATA cable should be here this week. I am planing on using that till I find or buy another USB3, Once I have the HDD connected to the 104 do I just push the back up button? and to do the next drive I load the second drive format it and unplug the first and repeat the back up ?

M

I'm not completely following. Are you wanting to load 4 TBs in the RN104 from external drives?  Or back up the RN104 internal drives to external drives?

Message 11 of 13
mumbles
Aspirant

I have the first 4TB in the  104 ready to receive from the 4TB I have the data on in the computer, I will put in a USB an external case or connect through the e-SATA port. So yes I wish to copy all on the external drive to the first drive in the 104 I want to set the 104 to be JBOD so I can access the 4 drives from any computer in the house and all smart TV's. The back up HDD's ( one for each 4TB HDD's ) will be mirrored and kept off site. The 4 ,4TB HDD in the 104 will be just for data eg music,TV, Movies and Photo's one drive each.Today is Monday the e-SATA cables did not arrive and I have not found the USB 3 Cable as yet.

M

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@mumbles wrote:

I have the first 4TB in the  104 ready to receive from the 4TB I have the data on in the computer, I will put in a USB an external case or connect through the e-SATA port.

Ok.  Then you can connect the external drive, and set up a frontview backup job to copy the data on it to a share.

Or if you have a gigabit network, you can copy it directly from the PC with something like teracopy.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements