× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup Button Date and Time

Sput
Aspirant

Backup Button Date and Time

Hi all,

Is it possible to "program" the builtin backup jobs button to put a date to each backup that it does, and keep a history of the USB.

The end goal is, 

insert usb, press backup.

This should be copied to nas/backuplocation/todaysdate

tomorrows should be copied to nas/backuplocation/tomorrowsdate

So I will build up a history of each backup that is taken.  Yes a lot of duplicating of information, but this is the end goal.

Previously I was doing this via a batch script on a Windows computer (very familiar with windows) now a Mac is the main machine and I just dont know how to write the backup script for a mac.  Then I read about the backup button and thought it may do what I want.

Many thanks

Sput

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backup Button Date and Time

@Sput wrote:

Hi all,

Is it possible to "program" the builtin backup jobs button to put a date to each backup that it does, and keep a history of the USB.

The end goal is, 

insert usb, press backup.

This should be copied to nas/backuplocation/todaysdate

tomorrows should be copied to nas/backuplocation/tomorrowsdate

It sounds like what you want is a versioned backup.  The build-in backup jobs don't provide that.

If you are backing up to another NAS, you can use ReadyDR.  Personally I use rsync, and have snapshots set up on the backup NAS to give me rollback.

But neither of those apply to USB backups.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Backup Button Date and Time

Nothing like that is built in, and I doubt Netgear will add it -- I just don't think there is a lot of call for it.  You are better off looking for something commenrcial or freeware that runs on the Mac.  That may mean the data is copied via the Mac, which will slow it down.  A Windows virtual machine is another option.

I have not located any shell script that determines what the NAS does when you press the button, so know of no way to re-direct the action taken when it is pressed. 

If you can't write a script for the Mac, you are going to have similar difficulty on the NAS, since both are Linux based.  But if you can do it, then there are other ways to trigger it than the backup button.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements