× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup Disk not available

trneb
Aspirant

Backup Disk not available

So I have just set up a readyNAS ultra 4 on my home network running via ethernet to my dlink dir-655 router. I have been trying to get time machine working with my mac running 10.6.8 but have had strange issues. First, let me say that if I direct connect via ethernet to the readyNAS it seems to work just fine. I have also updated to the latest firmware on both the readyNAS and the router and run all updates on my mac...

Since it works with a direct connect something is funky with the network I would guess, but I can't seem to confirm if the dir-655 has any issues with afp or not. Is there some setting that I need to do or open a port maybe?

The funky behavior is that I can connect with time machine if I do it right after toggling the 'enable time machine support' checkbox on the readyNAS , but this connection only lasts briefly. Time machine will spin up and start backing up, but then eventually I get the 'backup disk not available' error. At this point the readyNAS is gone from the time machine 'choose a disk' dialog until I uncheck / re-check the box on the readyNAS...

If anyone has any insights that would really help as I don't want to have to go buy a new router too...
Message 1 of 2
Chewbacca
Aspirant

Re: Backup Disk not available

You should not need to open a port for time machine to work. Are there any firewall settings on the router?

You can try what the user did in the last post of this forum.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/airpor ... outer.html
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements