× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup Failure - preserving times invalid argument

thomas7467
Aspirant

Backup Failure - preserving times invalid argument

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure backup from a readyNAS 2100 to a DNS-323 DLINK NAS server through a WIN/NAS (timestamp) configuration.

WIN/NAS configuration test works fine on the readyNAS.

But when the backup job 's launched, It fails with the following errors on each file :

Error encountered copying data from source path /PRIVE/ ==> //192.168.3.4/Volume_1/TEST due to unknown reason. Please see log.
cp: preserving times for '/job_001//TEST/./Ancien Formulaire/Anciennes formules/Anciennes formules/Crème 60 ml': Invalid argument
cp: preserving times for '/job_001//TEST/./Ancien Formulaire/Anciennes formules/Anciennes formules/Gel color YP line': Invalid argument
cp: preserving times for '/job_001//TEST/./Ancien Formulaire/Anciennes formules/Anciennes formules': Invalid argument

does anybody have a clue or idea?
thanks
Thomas
Message 1 of 12
thomas7467
Aspirant

No idea? 😞
Message 2 of 12
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

It looks like the destination side is being accessed without admin access. Are you putting an admin login and password in the backup job?
Message 3 of 12
thomas7467
Aspirant

Hi,

I've created an account for the backup, with read/write accesses.

An other information : files are copied on destination side.

Best regards,
Message 4 of 12
coolsnaz
Aspirant

Did creating an account for the backup solve the issue?
Message 5 of 12
coolsnaz
Aspirant

I have found this is an issue with the permissions within the dlink NAS units.
Message 6 of 12
rocketcs
Aspirant

was this ever resolved? I am having the same problem trying to backup my readynas ultra to a DNS-323...

Job: 001
Protocol: cifs
Source: [Maz]/
Destination: //192.168.1.69/Volume_1/backup

`./euros f1 set.dxf' -> `/job_001//backup/euros f1 set.dxf'
`./euros f1 set.dwl' -> `/job_001//backup/euros f1 set.dwl'
`./Stand-Golf-Bag-KL102-.jpg' -> `/job_001//backup/Stand-Golf-Bag-KL102-.jpg'
`./euros f1 set.dwl2' -> `/job_001//backup/euros f1 set.dwl2'
cp: preserving times for `/job_001//backup/.': Invalid argument

Backup failed. Fri May 18 07:41:54 GMT 2012.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from source path /Maz/ ==> //192.168.1.69/Volume_1/backup due to unknown reason. Please see log.

The part that is most bizarre is that it DOES copy all the necessary files to the d-link, and they all appear to be working fine... so its not a permissions issue I guess

any ideas?
Message 7 of 12
coolsnaz
Aspirant

That is exactly the same problem I was having and got no response for a resolution. In the end I just lived with it for a bit before upgrading the DNS-323 to another readynas!
Message 8 of 12
john_h1
Tutor

I am getting the same error

I am backing up some media files from my ReadyNAS Pro to my media player hard drive (PlayonHD) via my network. All the files have copied over ok, but get the" preserving times... Invalid argument" error message and the backup job has a status of "failed". I'm assuming that because the job has failed it will try and do a full backup if I run it again?

It took nearly 4 days to run the job for 1.5TB of data so I don't want to run the full job each time, I want it to do an incremental backup. So unless this problems is resolved, this is just not going to work.

Any staff able to help?

BTW I run another job to a USB HD plugged directly into the ReadyNAS and no errors are reported.
Message 9 of 12
pir2d2
Aspirant

Hi. I've got the same problem. However, the backup works just fine. I mean the files are copied, so I think I'm just going to live with it.
Pierre
Message 10 of 12
Mammoth1
Aspirant

I am getting the same error while backing up from ReadyNAS 2100 to DLink DNS-323. However it appears that the files are successfully copied to the destination. So I will live with it for now but I have requested Netgear support for the investigation of the error message.
Message 11 of 12
BertRitto
Aspirant

Woah, I'm too getting this error!

Backing up from a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 to a DNS323.

So do the files actually get copied? I'm currently using my DNS323 as a backup of important files.

Thanks!
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements