× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup NFS Shares that include VMware Datastore

cjnicol
Follower

Backup NFS Shares that include VMware Datastore

I am using a ReadyNAS 526x as a datastore for a VMWare ESXi installation with the NFS protocol.  It is set up and all is working fine.  I hjave created a new drive for one of my servers on the datastore and it shows up in the shared folder for the NFS in a folder labeled the server name.

My question relates to now I want to be able to backup this drive to an external USB drive.  I can navigate to the server folder and choose this folder to backup and that is no issue.  You can not choose down to the file level.  I have not tried it, but I assume it would backup the single file for the VMWare drive.

My question is, what if I want to put a second new drive on this server.  If I do this it does not put it into a different folder so I would not be able to choose this drive seperately to back it up to an external USB.

The only work around I can think of at this point would be to create a second datastore under a different share so that I can have the drive be in a seperate folder.

Thanks for any advice

Message 1 of 2
dingjs1421
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Backup NFS Shares that include VMware Datastore

I'm afraid  you have to create a seperate NFS share for this, actually this would be more convenient for backup, permission control and file access.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements