× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup from 516 to 316 (or between any two os6 devices)

x219c
Luminary

Backup from 516 to 316 (or between any two os6 devices)

I've got my 516 setup just the way I'd like using xraid on raid 6. I have nearly mirrored this in a 316. Same size drives, raid 6, but no apps or anything.

How can I do a full backup from the 516 to the 316. I would like to not only preserve the actual shares (that, I can figure out) but also the apps and their data, The Plex DB, an SQL database... etc. All stored in the hidden folders.

Upon searching, I found much about migrating from older systems and such, but not much with this in mind. Ideally, I envision the NAS going down (let's say 3 drives failed, however unlikely)... I buy new drives, get it all ready again... Then press restore, and it copies everything back, just as it was. That, or something very similar, so that I'm not trying to figure out how I had things working together before the crash. Is there a way to do this?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Backup from 516 to 316 (or between any two os6 devices)

Backing up the system is a feature for legacy ReadyNAS. You can backup the ReadyNAS Configuration under System > Settings > Configuration Backup. This doesn't backup the config or data for apps.

The apps config and data is stored in the hidden .apps share on the main data volume e.g. /data/.apps

Apps should store all their config and data in there, but it's possible some may not.

It is good that you are backing up your data. After all, no important data should be stored on the one device.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
x219c
Luminary

Just spitballing... Would I create a backup job with the source as "/" and the destination as a share on the 316?

Message 2 of 7
x219c
Luminary

I've tried "Backup System" in replicate, where it tells me that the source system doesn't support this. I also attempted what I suggested above.. That's met with another error indicating that the source and destination can't be the same. (the aren't)

I can backup the shares, but I'd like to get the rest, if possible.

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Backing up the system is a feature for legacy ReadyNAS. You can backup the ReadyNAS Configuration under System > Settings > Configuration Backup. This doesn't backup the config or data for apps.

The apps config and data is stored in the hidden .apps share on the main data volume e.g. /data/.apps

Apps should store all their config and data in there, but it's possible some may not.

It is good that you are backing up your data. After all, no important data should be stored on the one device.

Message 4 of 7
x219c
Luminary

Thanks mdgm, I guess the million dollar question is: if I do backup /data using the backup tab, will it catch the apps folder too? As a follow-up, it is possible to backup the data folder using the backup tab, right?
Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. I just tested this and it works.

Note that if somehow an app stores some data not on the data volume that wouldn't be backed up.

Message 6 of 7
x219c
Luminary

That sounds good to me. Thanks!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements