× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup problem with ReadyNAS Pro

Reblan
Aspirant

Backup problem with ReadyNAS Pro

I am running a ReadyNAS Pro and using the Backup tool for my various computers on a home network. I have just swapped out my old Dell for a new laptop (another Dell - XPS13) and trying to set up the backup for that machine. I am having real problems trying to get the new machine identified by the NAS.

Not sure what is causing my issue. Set up a new backup on the FrontView and when I put in the name of the new laptop, get "error connecting". (To check, I replaced the name of the old laptop and it was instantly recognised.) I also tried putting in the IP address rather than the laptop name and still no joy Not sure it is relevant but running Windows 7 Pro on my old machine, WIndows 8.1 on the new one.

On my new laptop, checked the sharing options and all appears OK. I can also see the NAS from the laptop, and easily access files on the NAS, so the problem is not happening the other way!

Any clues as to what I can try next? Grateful for any suggestions...

Thanks
Message 1 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Backup problem with ReadyNAS Pro

What version of RAIDiator are you running?

Is the new laptop in the same workgroup as your NAS and the old laptop?
Message 2 of 16
Reblan
Aspirant

I am running RAIDiator 4.2.27 .

Have been struggling with the "workgroup" of Windows 7 and "homegroup" of Windows 8. Set up the Homegroup for the new laptop, but how do I get the NAS onto the same Homegroup? Is this tied to the Security Mode "User" checkbox? Was not sure....

Thanks
Message 3 of 16
vandermerwe
Master

All machines should have the same workgroup name.
In frontview go to Network/Global Settings and change the workgroup name to match the windows 8 pc.
You'll need to change the old laptop workgroup to the same name if you still want to use it, this is in Control Panel/System/Change Settings/Change. You may need to enter the homegroup password if the homegroup was created by windows 8. The nas does not need the homegroup password.
Message 4 of 16
Reblan
Aspirant

In Network/Global settings, there are only two options - Hostname and DNS Settings. Cannot see where I can change the workgroup name - am I looking in the right spot?
Thanks
Message 5 of 16
vandermerwe
Master

Ok.
Are you in AD mode or user mode? You need to be in user mode. I must have missed your question about the user tickbox.
Message 6 of 16
Reblan
Aspirant

You might need to help me out a bit more on this. I am in "Advanced Control" mode and using version 4.2.27 for ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition [X-RAID2]. I checked out a simulated version of FrontView and saw exactly what you were referring to - the Workgroup option was there but the firmware was RAIDiator 4.01c1-p1 [1.00a041]. Is there a different version of the software for ReadyNAS Pro and ReadyNAS?
Message 7 of 16
vandermerwe
Master

No you are running the lastest version, 4.2.27.
In frontview/security what submenus are there?
Message 8 of 16
Reblan
Aspirant

Security has three - Admin Password, Security Mode, and User and Group Accounts. In the Security Mode, I have checked the User and put in the Workgroup name I am using but no joy with that..
Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Try using the IP address of the laptop instead of the name.
Message 10 of 16
vandermerwe
Master

did you reboot the nas again?
You did try the ip address as you said in your original post?
Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Also, the homegroup is not the same as the workgroup. homegroup is specific to windows.
Message 12 of 16
Reblan
Aspirant

I do have Workgroup set the same for the laptop and the NAS. Have also rebooted (numerous times) and have tried the IP address instead of the laptop name but no change - still unable to recognise.
I went back to the old laptop and looked at the set up there again. Exactly the same, and can backup that unit without any problems by logging into Frontview from that laptop. Also, set up a new test backup on Frontview for the old laptop, using the new laptop, and the connection works fine. So, two laptops sitting side by side, hooked into the same network, same backup source details on Frontview (for the respective laptops) but only one has a recognisable connection from Frontview.
Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Are both laptops running the same version of windows?

Is the sharing on the windows side set up identically (both network access permissions, and the file/folder permissions)?
Message 14 of 16
vandermerwe
Master

In his OP he said the new laptop is windows 8.1 and the old 7.
Worth asking again but he said that he had checked the sharing settings.
Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps one way to check is to access the win 8.1 share from the win 7 machine.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements