× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bad performance hosting website on Duo

betaware
Aspirant

Bad performance hosting website on Duo

Hello,
I'm hosting a small site on my readynas Duo. Port 80 is forwarded and the site works fine when loading on my local LAN.
But when I load the site on a public computer/internet it loads horribly slow. I had also in mind hosting photo's that are now viewable over the net. But when I try to load an image of 620Kb it loads for a few seconds, then waits for about 30 seconds, and then loads another few kb's. It takes too long.

Does anyone have any suggestion what I can do to improve the loading speed of my website? Is there any way to get a sustained download speed, it doesn't matter if it is just 20kb/s but better than it is now.

I use radiator 1.4.7, the most uptodate firmware, 256mb default memory
My upload is about 100kb/s. The readynas is connected to a switch and the switch is connected to the internet modem.
I tried to set the MTU to 1492 but that didn't had any effect
I used another port instead of 80, but that also didn't had any effect

My "share" can be found here: http://wimjager.dyndns.org. Then click on the folder "test" and the website will load.
But the main problem is when trying to download an image. When clicking on "naamloos.jpg" it takes ages to download that 620K file.

Thank you in advance, any suggestions are welcome.

Wim
Message 1 of 16
dbott67
Guide

Performance wasn't that bad for me. It took about 5 seconds to completely load this page (it arrived in chunks):

This image also loaded fairly quick... maybe 3 seconds:

Perhaps a few others can let us know what kind of performance they're seeing.
Message 2 of 16
InTheShires
Tutor

Performance is quite bad here. Both images in DBotts post loaded like I was back on dialup. (56k Modem)

Going direct the DYN address gave better performance when browsing images. Still a little slow, but not too painful.

Loading the homepage however was not so great, and went back to 56k page loading style.

In the UK, at 22.15 approx.
Message 3 of 16
sphardy1
Apprentice

My upload is about 100kb/s.

If that metric means your uplink bandwidth is 100Kbyte per second, then that's approximately what I see when accessing the site.

FYI: the page in the test subfolder seems to be designed for people with very high resolution monitors - you might want to rethink that. Here's how the site looks on my 1280x800 macbook

Message 4 of 16
betaware
Aspirant

Thank you all so much for trying out!

Trying to access my share on the university network, it all went very smooth like "dbott67" mentioned. It loaded all smooth, with chuncks but fairly quick.
A friend of my also tried to access my share from his internet and also found out that it worked fine.

But when I try to access my share via the internet of my neighbours (legally and asked) it loads more like "InTheShires" mentioned. But when I used a web proxy server to connect to my share, the site loaded all quick like it was on the university network. I would like to ask "InTheShires" to try to access my share via a proxy server like "hidemyass" http://hidemyass.com/ . Could you go there, paste the web address of my share (wimjager.dyndns.org) and see if you can load the image file and "test" folder, and see if it loads smoothly? I am really curious if it works now.

Does anyone have any clue what can cause this difference in performance? Could it be that local ISP's are blocking to access my share like a prevention rule for people hosting websites on their networks? Seeing that several people can access my share perfectly, I am more thinking of a problem of ISP's like described earlier.

Thanks for sharing ideas,
Wim
Message 5 of 16
niknil
Aspirant

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem (site is http://145.94.41.58). The problem came up when I started hosting the images as well. Before that I linked them to a blogspot site and all worked fine. When I access this page locally with Windows 7, there is no problem. By accessing it outside of my network it is really slow. But now what really bothers me: on both my cellphone (HTC HD2 with android) and a Macbook don't have the problem. The problem seems to be browser independent (I tried firefox on both windows and mac, gave the same result). Through a VM under linux I also have the problem.

I have a ReadyNas NV+ RND4000.
The site is build out of php with the content in xml, but before in html only I had the same problem.
The images are 10kb a piece and are 290kb in total.
My connection is 100Mbit full duplex.
Port forwarding is set through a Dlink DIR-615 for port 80 TCP.

I also tried it with AVG and windows firewall off.

I really hope someone can tell me what is going wrong or what I can try to improve.

Regards, Aad
Message 6 of 16
sphardy1
Apprentice

My connection is 100Mbit full duplex

Is that your Broadband speed?
Message 7 of 16
niknil
Aspirant

Yes, university network 🙂
Message 8 of 16
sphardy1
Apprentice

Sorry - I have no idea as to the root cause, though I've seen similar

I've had significant problems recently with Firefox access (under OSX) to my own NAS hosted site - enough that I have moved away from it to Chrome. The problems seem to have started with FF4 but also seem to be sporadic and I didn't have the patience to try to figure it out.

I don't think the problem is related to the NAS as I don't have trouble with any other form of access - just avoid FF for the moment if you can
Message 9 of 16
niknil
Aspirant

As I said, the problem seems to be browser independent. I have used chrome, internet explorer and firefox for both internal and external connections. All give the same result. If I put this site on an external host, the problem disappears as well. These fact seem to point to problems with settings of the NAS, maybe in some security handling or protocols, but then how to solve such matters?
Message 10 of 16
sphardy1
Apprentice

You also said that some setups work just fine, so the conclusion could just as easily be the issue is related to those clients that don't work.

There are no settings to change on the NAS other than access restrictions - web access is on or off. The only way to try to debug (other than trial & error) is to start implementing some 3rd party based network monitoring - wireshark or something like that - to determine the difference between a working and problematic connection
Message 11 of 16
niknil
Aspirant

I have installed a monitor (loadavg) and hope to see something soon. Still I also had some problems with read/write acces with php file handling. Might there be any problem with windows trying to access the nas in a different way than osx does? What I was also wondering if you have tried to access the site and had any problems (as I see you work under osx and therefor should load the site just fine).

I also tried to delete almost all content to see if I could pinpoint the problem to content, but was not succesfull.

Regards, Aad
Message 12 of 16
sphardy1
Apprentice

I have just loaded the site in Chrome & Firefox (OSX 10.7) and IE9 (Win7+SP1)

All 3 worked just fine, though FF was notably the slowest of the 3 (seemed to struggle with the twitter pane in the upper right). Had I not know you were having performance issues, I wouldn't have guess it from the performance I'm seeing

BTW: loadavg is only going to reveal any loading issues on the NAS - it won't help you diagnose problems between the client & NAS
Message 13 of 16
niknil
Aspirant

Thanks for the heads-up with wireshark vs loadavg. Though loadavg gave some nice insight, wireshark might start solve a problem, now I only have to start understanding the program. Will the course on network protocols finally pay of...
Message 14 of 16
niknil
Aspirant

It seems to be a lot of bad tcp packets. The cause is quite vague. Some note the use of jumbo packets make a difference, but I didn't have that turned on. When I did it actually worked quite good since mostly I use my NAS for watching HD content.

As I also have seen, an update solved the problem most of the times. Now am I already on the latest verion, but the previous update might have caused the problems. I'll wait and see if the next update will get rid of these problems.
Message 15 of 16
Singularity
Tutor

Hi

I hosted a site and also a php forum on my duo but abandoned it because of the lousy speed.

I am on Virgin 30Mb broadband in the UK. I put my problem down to the fact that although I have a good download bandwidth, my upload speed is pretty grim. I think it used to be 750kbs (0.75Mb)

I also had to reduce considerably the size of any photos I posted on the site, otherwise they would take a lifetime to load.

Not sure if that's of any use.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements