× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Badlock Security Vulnerability Notification on RNDU4000 and no fix available

txbecks
Aspirant

Badlock Security Vulnerability Notification on RNDU4000 and no fix available

ReadyNASRNDU4000 last firmware update was 4.2.28.   Netgear sent me an email saying I was susceptible to the vulnerability and there is nothing I can do.

Does anyone know anything I can do.   I have always thought that there would be security updates, but apparently not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: ReadyNASRNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Badlock Security Vulnerability Notification on RNDU4000 and no fix available

Hello txbecks,

I guess you might want to see this link where I believe you can report any vulnerability issues you are experiencing with a Netgear product.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello txbecks,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 6
txbecks
Aspirant

I have not hit the vulnerability yet that I know of, but I received an email from Netgear telling me to upgrade the firmware because I am vulnerable.   It is unnerving to have a product when the complany that makes it, says you should upgrade when they stopped shipping firmware about 6 months ago. I am now considering a new NAS, only to hear the current home models were released 3 years ago and no new models in the near future.

I do not see a good netgear solution that gives me a confidence as a long term solution.

Message 4 of 6
omicron_persei8
Luminary

There was mention in another thread by somebody from NETGEAR that this mail was sent by mistake to all registered ReadyNAS owners instead of all registered ReadyNAS OS 6 owners.
FWIW, ReadyNAS OS 6 models were released something like 2013. While RNDU4000 was realease long before that iirc.
So the models released three years ago are indeed getting the security update...
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@txbecks wrote:

...current home models were released 3 years ago and no new models in the near future.

The RN212 and RN214 were released last October, and both are home models.

@txbecks wrote:

...and no new models in the near future.

Netgear doesn't pre-announce new models, so there is no way to know what they will be introducing later this year.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements