× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Boot stuck installing Add-ons ReadyNAS Pro # 20666710

Ben_III
Aspirant

Boot stuck installing Add-ons ReadyNAS Pro # 20666710

So I have opened up communication with Tech Support (Case # 20666710) concerning my ReadyNAS Pro 4. I have Plex Media Server and more than a couple Terabytes of videos on my ReadyNAS. I installed a few other add-ons, including ReadyNAS Photo II but did not get SSH installed. I rebooted my box and now it is stuck booting "installing add-ons." I don't want to perform a factory reset if at all possible (erasing all my data) and since I can't SSH into the box I asked Tech Support for help - placing my box in Telnet mode (Debug mode 59294) but they have been unsuccessful connecting to my ReadyNAS. Is there another Tech out there that might be able to help me out? Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Boot stuck installing Add-ons ReadyNAS Pro

There are a few different options you could try (support may have already suggested one or more of these options to you):

1. Power down NAS and put it back in tech support mode. This will force the NAS to make a fresh attempt to connect to the tech support mode server. Contact support and see if they can try connecting again.
2. Port forward to port 23 on your NAS. Let support know the I.P. and port number.
3. If not comfortable with opening ports it should be possible to try a TeamViewer session but that could mean a longer delay in getting help as a mutually suitable time would need to be arranged.
Message 2 of 5
Ben_III
Aspirant

Re: Boot stuck installing Add-ons ReadyNAS Pro # 20666710

mdgm, I just restarted the NAS and booted into Tech Support mode again as you suggested. There is a new internal IP address assigned by DHCP that shows on the ReadyNAS LCD. Previously I had gone into my cable modem/router and forwarded port 23 to the IP addresses that were assigned to the NAS. Is that the correct procedure? Also, the Tech has never asked for my External IP address so when you say to let the Tech know of the IP are you referring to the internally generated one (LAN) or the external one (WAN). I'm not sure if I'm referring to those correctly but hopefully you know what I'm trying to get at. Thanks again
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

You need to forward port 23 to the IP address currently assigned to the NAS (that would be singular of course, you can only forward a port to one internal [LAN] IP address).

Support needs to know the external [WAN] address.
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can forward a different external port to port 23 on the NAS but you would then need to tell support the port as well.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements