× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CIFS file permissions for backup to "Open" share

Sandshark
Sensei

CIFS file permissions for backup to "Open" share

Brand new Ultra4 Plus running RAIDiator 4.2.17.

I have the CIFS permissions set per the default, so it's basically an open share -- everybody permissions are read/write. Only CIFS and HTTP/S protocols are enabled. I transferred data from my old NV+ to the U4+ using a backup job, pulling from the NV+ with the U4+ and using the Windows/NAS Timestamp method.

All the files and folders ended up with permissions drwxr-xr-x root root. I expected the permissions to be drwxrwxrwx root root to retain the everyone read/write permissions.

Since I was doing the initial move of files from the NV+, I went to the Advanced options for CIFS and changed all the file permissions (though that didn't go as expected, see post in other forum). But I don't think I should have had to.

Is this a byproduct of still having Share access on the NV+ (and thus using the share name for user and password for the source in the backup job), or is this how it's going to work every time? Does the backup job ignore the default permissions?

I expect it would have been different if I'd pushed from the NV+ using my U4+ credentials for the destination, but I'm sure that would have been a lot slower with the less powerful NV+ doing the main work.
Message 1 of 6
arjoseph1
Tutor

Re: CIFS file permissions for backup to "Open" share

The steps below will basically make the exsisting shares have a wide open permission. "drxwrxwrxw"

Try these steps below:
1. Go to Share listings
2. Click Cifs icon of the specific share name
3. Go to Advance Options tab
4. Share folder owner: (type the share name)
5. Share folder group: (nogroup)
6. Put a check on "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings" and click Apply.

P.S.
After you put a click on the Apply button the check will disappear inside the check box, it's normal because it's an action box.
Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

The steps below will basically make the exsisting shares have a wide open permission. "drxwrxwrxw"

Yes, that will make all files currently in the share open. That was already the case. The question is why files added to such a share by the backup process didn'r already have those rights. Why was this secondary step of changing the rights required?
Message 3 of 6
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Windows/Timestamp is not a good way to move files between two ReadyNASes if you want to keep the permissions. It would be better to use a more native protocol like rsync or NFS.
Message 4 of 6
eea123
Aspirant

Under Step 4, does using "nobody" make all of the shares this way?
Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

ewok wrote:
Windows/Timestamp is not a good way to move files between two ReadyNASes if you want to keep the permissions. It would be better to use a more native protocol like rsync or NFS.

It wasn't my intent that their permissions be retained. I moved them into an open share and expected them to be open by default, regardless of the previous permissions, because that's how I have the share set up.

They actually weren't open on the source, because I was using Share access there. Snooping with SSH, I see that files on a NAS with share level access are not open to everyone, they just seem so because everyone effectively uses the same login.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements