× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can drives be swapped to new unit?

jrsforums
Aspirant

Can drives be swapped to new unit?

I have 2 NV+ units. One of them has decided not to start...i.e. nothing happens when power button pushed.

While I will attempt to figure what the problem is, I would like to get the data off of the drives before doing that.

Is it possible to take the 4 drives from the non-working unit and place them in the working unit (after taking those dirves out, of course) and be able to read the drives?

Thanks....John
Message 1 of 4
dbott67
Guide

Re: Can drives be swapped to new unit?

Message 2 of 4
jrsforums
Aspirant

dbott67 wrote:
You bet. 😎

http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another

I am concerned by this statement in the post you referenced:
Although not required, it's always a good idea to keep the ordering the same.

I assume if the same order is not kept, that the data on the drives will be erased and a new raid set up.

I want to keep the data and be able to read it.

Please confirm that this can be done.

John
Message 3 of 4
dbott67
Guide

Hi John,

The developers recommend that you try to keep the disk order the same, but it is not strictly necessary. To be clear, they are suggesting that you make sure that the disk from slot 1 on unit A goes into slot 1 on unit B. This is more to protect the data volume in the event that one of the disks dies during the migration process. Having an unprotected array (i.e. failed disk), in addition to disks in the wrong spot might lead to disaster when the unit tries to boot. If the order is kept the same and a disk fails, the NAS should work as expected and boot up into an unprotected state (at which point, you should replace failed disk).

Having said that, there have been countless folks that have inadvertently mixed up their disks during migrations, dusting and cleanings, etc. and have not had any issues whatsoever.

My advice would be to make sure you have a backup of critical data and label disks to ensure that they go into correct slot on new NAS.

-Dave
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements