× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access ReadyCloud any more, can't use remote

HeleneWallis
Aspirant

Can't access ReadyCloud any more, can't use remote

We were only ever able to get one computer to connect via ReadyCloud. Now it won't connect that way any more either. We can still see the device on our local network, but we can't access it via the browser. We also can't use the desktop client. I installed it so we would have remote access on a business trip. It never worked, and now when I try to log in, it says my user name and password are invalid, even though I'm using the ones I set it up with. I tried to get a new password and it says none of the emails I've ever used (only one of which I would have used for this purpose) are valid. Right now I have a $600 brick and a bad reputation for recommending this. I seriously need help.

Message 1 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@HeleneWallis wrote:

We can still see the device on our local network, but we can't access it via the browser. 

Maybe we should start here.  Is the issue that  https://nas-ip-address/admin (a) doesn't give you the log in prompt, (b) gives you the prompt but doesn't accept your credentials or (c) accepts your credentials but isn't showing you the normal web ui pages???

Use the real nas ip address of course.

On (b) the user name needs to be "admin", with the nas admin password.

Message 2 of 25
HeleneWallis
Aspirant

I can access the admin page via https://real-nas-ip-address/admin. But I can no longer use the browser (readycloud.netgear.com) to get to the server. No one else has ever been able to use the browser access. It was initially set up on my computer and I could initially access it that way. I'm no longer able to.

For the remote, 'admin' was the first thing I tried, along with the admin password that I set up. Didn't work. I requested a new password. I was told to provide the alternate email address that I used during registration. I've tried every email address that I've used in the last year and it said all of them were invalid. There is only one that I would have used, and that is supposedly invalid too. I have no idea what to do next if I can't even use a valid email to get a new password.

Message 3 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@HeleneWallis wrote:

I've tried every email address that I've used in the last year and it said all of them were invalid. There is only one that I would have used, and that is supposedly invalid too. I have no idea what to do next if I can't even use a valid email to get a new password.

You might need support help to figure out what's going on there.  Though maybe one of the Netgear mods can help.

Did you go through the ReadyCloud account transistion to mynetgear last spring, or did you set up ReadyCloud after that happened?

Message 4 of 25
HeleneWallis
Aspirant

We've had this thing for only about three weeks. I tried setting up a mynetgear account and got the message that my email address was already registered. I did manage to get into the remote desktop client by creating a new account. But it still says my devices are offline and I still can't access them via Readycloud. I can get into the admin page by using the ip address and I can see the folders on our network. But that's all. I can still do what I need to do with it, which is to set up a local instance of our shopping cart software (or at least I assume that I can, since I haven't tried yet). But no one else can access it via the browser, which is what everyone else wants to be able to do. And I can't access it remotely, which I will have to be able to do to support things when I'm not in the office.

Message 5 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Do you use active directory with the ReadyNAS?

Message 6 of 25
HeleneWallis
Aspirant

No, we don't use Active Directory. In fact, I didn't even know what that was until I looked it up. I can't see any reason to use it.

Message 7 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@HeleneWallis wrote:

No, we don't use Active Directory. 

That's good, because it's not compatible with ReadyCloud.

Message 8 of 25
HeleneWallis
Aspirant

We still can't use this device as it's advertised to be used. The remote client will log in now but it says no device is present. I use it as a network storage device, but no one else does because they can't log into it from their browser. There is such a long wait (30-40 seconds) for it to appear on our network each time it needs to be accessed that they're unwilling to use it that way. I'm not blaming the ReadyNAS for that problem, but that does inhibit its use. When it was first available via the ReadyCloud browser link, it would pop up immediately every time it was needed (though that only ever worked on the computer it was first installed on, never on any other computer on the network). I've pushed the button on the front, as the ReadyCloud page says to do, countless times now and nothing happens.

Surely someone knows how to make this work. It was recommended to us by someone who has used it successfully, but he says he never had this problem with it and doesn't know how to fix it. If it's working in other similar environments it should work for us too.

Message 9 of 25
StephenB
Guru

On the local network, the normal (and fastest) way to access the NAS is through file explorer (windows) or finder (OSX) - not the browser interface.

If the NAS is slow to respond initially, then perhaps try disabling disk spindown as a test, and see if that helps.  Also, you can try to access the NAS by it's IP s address instead of its name (seeing if it is a discovery issue or not).

You could try using something like owncloud for remote access instead of ReadyCloud - is that an option?  Or does it have to be ReadyCloud?

Message 10 of 25
HeleneWallis
Aspirant

Yes, File Explorer is how I have to get to it now. Are you saying, though, that most people don't use ReadyCloud? The company was sold on the device based on recommendations from other companies, using ReadyCloud for access on the local server and the remote desktop client for access over the internet. Neither of those is working for us. And in fact, it was very fast to begin with. I don't know how to disable disk spindown, but I'll figure it out. I had wondered if that was the reason it took so long to respond.

I can access the admin page via the IP address, yes. I'm the only one who needs to do that, though. The other reason for buying the ReadyNAS was to do a local installation of our shopping cart software so we can test changes and upgrades. That's my project and I'm the only one who would ever need to access it via the IP address.

I hadn't heard of owncloud before, but looked it up. It appears that the developer and his team have already departed to form another company. Whether that's a good sign or a bad one isn't obvious, but I'll try it anyway. If it works for remote access, that would solve one problem.

Message 11 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@HeleneWallis wrote:

Are you saying, though, that most people don't use ReadyCloud? 

I have no way of knowing how many people use it (or more specifically how many companies are using it).  

I don't use it myself, I use openVPN in my Nighthawk router for remote access.  That gives me full access to my home network.  

Another option I have used in the past is FTPS (opening ports in my router), using FileZilla as my FTP client.  FTPS is encrypted, and you can force the use of FTPS on the system->settings->FTP screen. 

@HeleneWallis wrote:

I don't know how to disable disk spindown, but I'll figure it out. I had wondered if that was the reason it took so long to respond.

Look on system->power in the NAS web UI.  It is disabled by default though, so it likely is disabled in your system.

Message 12 of 25
HeleneWallis
Aspirant

The router here is no doubt part of the overall problem with access speed. It's just the standard DSL modem/wifi router from the local phone company. After all the money that's been spent on the ReadyNAS, I doubt anyone is will be willing to replace it with anything better.

You mention ftp access--that's another problem I had put aside for the moment. I use WinSCP and can connect to the ip address just fine. But I can't upload files--I get 'permission denied.' I've set the admin permissions to read/write and don't know what else I need to do.

Re the NAS web UI--isn't that ReadyCloud? If I can't use ReadyCloud, how do I get to those settings?

Message 13 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@HeleneWallis wrote:

Re the NAS web UI--isn't that ReadyCloud? If I can't use ReadyCloud, how do I get to those settings?

You can reach the admin ui from ReadyCloud but it is separate from ReadyCloud..  Both https://nas-name/admin and https://nas-ip-address/admin will reach it directly, with no need to go through the readycloud portal.  You can also set up a secondary https port, and forward that in your router (allowing you to reach the admin page remotely w/o ReadyCloud).

@HeleneWallis wrote:

You mention ftp access--that's another problem I had put aside for the moment. I use WinSCP and can connect to the ip address just fine. But I can't upload files--I get 'permission denied.' I've set the admin permissions to read/write and don't know what else I need to do.

This is uploading to a normal share (as opposed to a home share?).  Are you on the home network or accessing remotely?

You might try creating a test share with wide-open access, and get that working first.

Message 14 of 25
HeleneWallis
Aspirant

Oh, okay, just the admin page. Yes, I just hadn't seen that setting there. Our router isn't that sophisticated, unfortunately. But I can get to the admin page via the ip address.

Not sure what you mean about a 'home share.'  I'm using ftp from a computer on the same network as the NAS. I created a share called admin, as the netgear instructions said to do, with read/write permissions. But I can try creating another one and test that too.

Message 15 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

@HeleneWallis wrote:

Not sure what you mean about a 'home share.'  I'm using ftp from a computer on the same network as the NAS. I created a share called admin, as the netgear instructions said to do, with read/write permissions. But I can try creating another one and test that too.

That's probably at least part of your problem.  I'm not sure where you think the instructions tell you to do that.  You should not manually create shares with the same name as any user, including "admin".  The NAS has an option to create a "home share" for each user that has the same name as that user, and that is the only method that should be used to create them.  Note, too, that a ReadyCloud and local accout are different users and should not have the same name.  Unfortunately, that means they will not have the same access, including to home shares.  That is why some use ReadyCloud exclusively for access -- they don't need to switch names and interfaces depending on whether they are local of remote.  Once the connection is made via the ReadCloud server, transfers are on your local network when you are local to the NAS.  So initial connection may be slow if you have a slow internet connection, but there is minimal effect on file transfers.  But ReadyCloud is a bit more restricted than local access.

If you do want to create shares for individual users instead of using home shares so you have more control over them (including Rsync backup capability), you can be creative by changing the case or adding a character.

Personally, I've migrated to ZeroTier, which I find to be superior to ReadyCloud.  See ZeroTier-and-the-ReadyNAS.  It gives you the same access as you have locally when you are remote and it can give you remote access to more than just the NAS without opening up the complete network like a traditional VPN.  It is open source software, which drives away some corporate users, but it sounds like you are a small company without that problem.

Message 16 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@HeleneWallis wrote:

Oh, okay, just the admin page. Yes, I just hadn't seen that setting there. Our router isn't that sophisticated, unfortunately. But I can get to the admin page via the ip address.

Every user account on the NAS has it's own dedicated folder, and if you browse the NAS volume you will see that folder in "home". Permissions are set so that folder can only be accessed from that account (or by the admin if he/she accesses the data volume itself and navigates through home). For convenience we call that a "home share" or a "private share"  "private share" sounds like a contradiction to me, so I tend to use "home share".

Since admin is a built-in account, it has a "home share" too.  If you create a competing public share called "admin" then you are sharing two different folders with the same name.  Don't do that.  Rename the "admin" public share to use a different name.  Similarly don't create a share that has the same name as the volume itself ("data" being the default volume name).

Message 17 of 25
HeleneWallis
Aspirant

Sorry, I mis-spoke. I created a share called website, not admin. The instructions said to give the admin read/write permissions (which of course I would have done anyway). I can connect with ftp, but I can't do anything in the folder--I get 'permission denied' if I try to upload anything, and I can't see the index.html file that I created and copied over from the desktop.

Message 18 of 25
HeleneWallis
Aspirant

I figured out the problem with ftp--I didn't have it enabled for the 'website' share. That's working fine now, but I still can't use readycloud. I'm a bit confused about the terminology here too. My understanding was that readycloud was for local access via a browser and that the desktop (or phone) remote client was for remote access. But I'm seeing references to readycloud as the remote client.

Message 19 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

ReadyCloud is the remote client for phone or PC.  But it can also be used locally.  The initial connection must be made via the Netgear ReadyCloud server, but traffic after that will be on the local network for local access and directly via the internet for remote, not via the Netgear server.

Message 20 of 25
HeleneWallis
Aspirant

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. Now if I could just get it to work at all...  In fact, I can't even see the device on our network today, but I can get to it via the ip address. It feels as though the whole thing is slowly failing, one access point at a time. I would turn it off and reboot it, but even that doesn't work. The instructions say to shut down gracefully by pressing the power button twice rather than unplugging it. But that doesn't shut it down--all that happens is that the blue light starts blinking.

Message 21 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Well, ReadyCloud is a Netgear Cloud service that includes the ReadyCloud app (or client on the PC)..  Connnections to the NAS are made through a VPN (the adapter name on the PC is "leaf" - that comes from the company that originally developed it, which was later purchased by Netgear).

As SandShark says, it is designed to detect if a direct connection to the NAS can be made by the client, and should go directly if that is possible. 

Personally I'd look at other options (including Sandshark's ZeroTier) - if they come up more easily and do what you need, then just use them instead.

Message 22 of 25
HeleneWallis
Aspirant

Yes, I'm definitely looking at that. All I want is for it to work reliably, every time, for each user. Couldn't care less what the interface is called.

Message 23 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

Personally I'd look at other options (including Sandshark's ZeroTier) - if they come up more easily and do what you need, then just use them instead.

Just to clarify, Zerotier is not "mine".  I'm an advocate because it meets my needs so well, and I initially posted on how to install it via SSH on an OS 6.6.x NAS.  But, it is open source software and NASTools has now produced an excellent package expressly for the ReadyNAS that includes a GUI that the standard installation does not have, so no SSH access or Linux knowlege is needed..

That said, it may also meet your needs better than ReadyCloud, as it does mine.

Message 24 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Just to clarify, Zerotier is not "mine". 

I meant your suggestion, I didn't mean to imply that you created it.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements