× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't access root of RN2120v2 after adding a second share via DNS name

FlorianB
Aspirant

Can't access root of RN2120v2 after adding a second share via DNS name

I'm running my RN2120v2 since a couple of months now without bigger issues.

Today I added a second share, since preparing the network security settings to Everyone R/W access and hitting "Apply" I'm unable to access the root folder data1 of my NAS to browse all available Shares when using the DNS name of the NAS.

When I use the IP address it works fine but all client setups, backups and user network mappings are made via DNS name - it would be a mess to change this to IP.

Edit #1: I also tried to restore a backup of the settings where I know it worked fine, but the NAS says "Unrecognized server error" when trying this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Florian

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't access root of RN2120v2 after adding a second share via DNS name

@FlorianB wrote:

I'm unable to access the root folder data1 of my NAS to browse all available Shares when using the DNS name of the NAS.

Do you see the shares when you enter \\nas-name in file explorer?  If not, what do you see (an error???)

If you do see them, you almost certainly have a credentials issue in the PCs.  You can only access the data volume with NAS admin credentials.

Message 2 of 9
FlorianB
Aspirant

Yes I get a Windows error message, when I try to access it via file explorer.

"A device attached to the system is not functioning"

This worked fine before doing the latest changes on the NAS' shares - using my common AD user account.

I'm running Windows 10 on my client, but it also doesn't work from any of my servers here.

Thank you

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@FlorianB wrote:

Yes I get a Windows error message, when I try to access it via file explorer.

I haven't seen that one before.  If you ping the DNS name, do you get the correct IP address?

Message 4 of 9
FlorianB
Aspirant

Yes resolving the correct IP address works fine.

I would also prefer to just restore my config backup instead of spending hours in troubleshooting but even this does not work 😞

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Since the address is resolved properly, it can't be a DNS problem (even though it surfaced after the upgrade).  The NAS has no idea if Windows is using the DNS name (or host name) to look up the IP address or not.    

It might be linked somehow to AD, but since I don't use AD I can't help on that.

Did you try turning off the PC firewall (or disabling any internet security software)?

Message 6 of 9
FlorianB
Aspirant

No didn't try that so far - I already left the office now and just checked if someone could help or not.

Do you have any idea why I can't restore the config backup?

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@FlorianB wrote:

Do you have any idea why I can't restore the config backup?

I think the error is a chrome bug, that will be fixed in the next firmware.

Though so far it's only been reported on firmware updates, not config restores.  In the case of a firmware update, the update actually works despite the error.

Message 8 of 9
FlorianB
Aspirant

I was not able to fix the issue itself.

I have now changed back the Authentication to Local and can access the root folder again also with my domain accounts,

For the shares I have set up 2 local share users what is fine right now.

Thread can be closed.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements