× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can’t change permissions – “The parameter is incorrect”

ncamhi
Aspirant

We purchased two of these devices and we cannot get users in our domain to write to subdirectories.

\\NAS-Server\Share can copy to but \\NAS-Server\Share\dirname we can't.

I have tried to set permissions and sometimes I get "THe parameter is incorrect" but other times it goes through.

All permissions allow THis folder, subfolders, and files.

ANy help appreciated as we cannot put into production until resolved.

THanks in advance.
Message 101 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

ncamhi, what firmware version are you using and how exactly are you configuring the permissions?
Message 102 of 138
ncamhi
Aspirant

We are using WIndows Explorer to set permissions - tried on 2003 server sp 2 standard and 2008 server r2 standard.

Model: ReadyNAS NVX Business Edition [X-RAID2]
Serial:
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.15
Memory: 1024 MB [6-6-6-24 DDR2]

Thanks,
Neil
Message 103 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

Update to 4.2.16 and try again. I suppose my question about the permissions wasn't quite clear enough, what exactly are you trying to set the permissions to be.
Message 104 of 138
ncamhi
Aspirant

I download and try to update and get Invalid checksum detected in update file. Update aborted.

I am using file RAIDiator-x86-4.2.16

The permissions is full control to the users.
Message 105 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

I get that permission for the users is full control on the file, but what about the folder that the file is in?
Message 106 of 138
ncamhi
Aspirant

The issue is that I cannot write to any sub folders.

\\NAS\Directory I can write to
\\NAS\Directory\SubDirectory I cannot write to = I get access denied.

The user has WIndows security full control with all subdirectories below it.

Also, the service pack get the check sum error as previously mentioned.

Thanks
Message 107 of 138
smemaine
Aspirant

This is a work around that we've been using for months, for what its worth:

Hostname: NSERVER
Model: ReadyNAS 2100 v1 [X-RAID2]
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.16
Memory: 1024 MB [5-5-5-24 DDR2 ECC]

Windows 2003 Server Domain: SMEMAINE

1. regular user George creates a new folder (aaaatest) on the root of share //NSERVER/CFS using a windowsXP
workstation with the latest SPs and updates.

2. No other users can access the folder aaaatest.

3. As a domain user and admin I also cannot access the folder.
I have a mapped drive (N:) to //NSERVER/CFS and a DOS batch file named fixp.cmd
I do the following work around:

---------------------
From a DOS shell run cacls (with arg: aaaatest) to view the Windows Access Control List; the output is:

N:\aaaatest SMEMAINE\Domain Guests:(OI)(CI)(special access:)
SMEMAINE\george:F
SMEMAINE\Domain Users:(special access:)
Everyone:F
CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special access:)
Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)F

----------------------
from a DOS shell we run the fixp.cmd passing it the folder name 'aaaatest'.
The batch file contains the single line:

cacls "\\NSERVER\CFS\%1" /C /T /G "SMEMAINE\Domain Users":F

------------------------
running cacls again with the following:

N:\aaaatest SMEMAINE\Domain Users:(OI)(CI)F
Everyone:(OI)(CI)(special access:)
SMEMAINE\george:F
CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
-------------------------

We use no special permissions so this is about the simplest case you'll find.
Any user authenticated on the domain can now access the folder aaaatest and all the files under it.
Folders and files created subsequently are also accessible to domain users.
Message 108 of 138
Shadowlore
Guide

We've recently upgraded one of our NAS's to .17 and this ugly little issue has popped up now.

It doesn't matter if we create new folders, or even try older folders... ANY new folder created, is given a default permission set of read-only.

Grevious: Not sure if you're still following this, but I can give you guys access to anything you need, I work directly with Netgear regularly and will provide anything you guys need to finally squash this bug.

As of right now, it's killed productivity to near standstill in several departments, and as you well know, we can't roll back to the previous version of the firmware we were running to revert this problem.

(if you'd like a way to contact me directly to iron out details, let me know and I'll PM you Instant messaging/phone number info)

As of right now, here's a full rundown of everything we have setup.

ReadyNAS 2100 setup running latest .17... I've not run a volume scan or a quota fix since loading .17.

It's setup on a 2003 AD Domain.

NAS Name is: NAS01
Share name is: 'DEPTS'
Permissions on DEPTS set as follows:
CIFS: Default Access - Read/Write
Recycle Bin: 10 days
2Gig
NOT Automatically Setting permissions on new Files and Folders (Though, I could SWEAR we had this checked prior to the update)
Opslocks enabled

I'll give Cacls outputs upon request.
Message 109 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

Send me the cacls output of a newly created file(created as a user besides the admin account used to add the nas to the domain) as well as the config backup from Frontview. Just send them as logs(instructions are in my signature).
Message 110 of 138
Shadowlore
Guide

Have sent the cacls to you via PM, and I'm doing the full config backup as we speak. Will send momentarily.
Message 111 of 138
Shadowlore
Guide

Config backup was sent... issue is quickly growing here. Have done a full reboot and volume and quota scan since. Half tempted to remove from the domain and reattach it, but I've had the devices lose ALL their folder permissions when I've done that in the past, so I'm reluctant to do it this time. Lemme know if you have any input.
Message 112 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

This is not something we'd be able to provide a quick fix to resolve in a couple of hours.
Message 113 of 138
Shadowlore
Guide

Understood 🙂 Just wanted to get opinions on some steps I could do to lessen the impact here. Is the information sufficient enough to at least narrow down what caused it? (I assume it's something to do with the upgrade from the earlier versions to the newer versions... as I don't seem to have this problem on the new 2100 we've got here.
Message 114 of 138
gn00347026
Guide

HELP .. i get the same problem after upgraded from 4.2.5 to 4.1.17 , please help
Message 115 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

gn00347026, unfortunately this thread now has more than 1 issue mentioned in it, can you please be more specific?

Shadowlore, I need you to start your own thread regarding your issue since it does not correspond to the other problems experienced in this particular thread.
Message 116 of 138
gn00347026
Guide

Dear Grievous

Model: readynas 2100 (AD Mode)

after upgraded from 4.2.5 to 4.2.15, then 4.2.17. when i apply/add the new permission to the folder (NAS), i get "the parameter is incorrect"
thanks
Message 117 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

gn00347026 wrote:
Dear Grievous

Model: readynas 2100 (AD Mode)

after upgraded from 4.2.5 to 4.2.15, then 4.2.17. when i apply/add the new permission to the folder (NAS), i get "the parameter is incorrect"
thanks

Does that happen with only folders that existed when the system was running 4.2.5, or newer folders as well? Did it happen when you were running 4.2.15?
Message 118 of 138
gn00347026
Guide

HI Grievous,

-Does that happen with only folders that existed when the system was running 4.2.5
Yes

-i didn't try during 4.2.15

Ps. If i create a new folder via the frontview, I can apply new permission or adding user without any problem

Best regards
gn00347026
Message 119 of 138
gn00347026
Guide

Hi grievous
Any further suggestion which I can do?
Thanks
Message 120 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

gn00347026 wrote:
Hi grievous
Any further suggestion which I can do?
Thanks

I just finished trying to reproduce it here on our end again, and it works for us.

Specifically I took a 2100 running 4.2.5, added it to a domain using windows 2003 server that has a bunch of users and groups, copied a bunch of data to the NAS, updated the NAS, set a restrictive permission for the domain users group(read only, unchecked the write permission on a folder), opened the folder and added members of the domain users group to the ACL list with full control. I get no errors, the permissions get applied, and the permissions are enforced as expected. Based on what I just told you that I did, am I missing anything?

(I would have responded to you earlier this morning, but it takes a while to get an environment reproduced sometimes)
Message 121 of 138
gn00347026
Guide

Dear Grievious,

please found my PM, thanks alot~
Message 122 of 138
arunasad
Aspirant

Grievous,

What is the status of the original issue? Is it fully resolved in the current RAIDiator version (4.2.17)?
I still have the same problems with old shares, but couldn’t reproduce it newly created test share. To fix this permanently do I need to recreate all shares and move the data, or it can be resolved with original shares?
Message 123 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

arunasad wrote:
Grievous,

What is the status of the original issue? Is it fully resolved in the current RAIDiator version (4.2.17)?
I still have the same problems with old shares, but couldn’t reproduce it newly created test share. To fix this permanently do I need to recreate all shares and move the data, or it can be resolved with original shares?

The status would be that we can no longer reproduce it in 4.2.17. Yes, I'd advise creating a new share and copying at least a portion of the data over and checking that it works.
Message 124 of 138
hoverman
Aspirant

I am having this issue as well, with two different customers. Once customer is user a 2003 Domain with an NVX, and the other on a 2008R2 Domain using a 2100. Both are running 4.2.17 of the firmware.

Only reason I came across this is both of my clients asked to change the permissions on a single folder inside of a share that is shared to "domain users". I went in the un-inherit permissions and then add only those domain users I wanted with Read/write. This seemed to work, but when users started complaining, I went back in to just reset everything back to normal, and then I got the infamous "Paremeter is incorrect".

I even went into the ReadyNAS frontView and went to the advanced tab and reset the permissions there. IT said it was successful but that one folder it didnt have an effect on. I did this on both users 2003 with NVX and 2008R2 with 2100)

I tried this on existing shares (created before the 4.2.17 updates) and on brand new shares (created today) and have run into the same issue.

I have read in other forum posts that this all goes back to having the "Domain Users" as the folder read/write group and that is I just make up a new security group, add the users to the new group, and reset all the permissions these issues go away. Can anyone confirm this?

If I dont hear by about 8 tonight, I will remote in to my customers and give this a shot.
Message 125 of 138
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements