× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't find/delete files

ArchieDad
Aspirant

Can't find/delete files

I have the ReadyNAS Duo with 500GB drive that I use for simple backups (I use a basic tool that simply copies files, and my OS is Windows 7). The folders that include those backup files occupy about 160GB. Yet, when I view Properties of the entire drive, it says I am using up 495GB. I cannot find the files that are taking up all that space. How can I find and remove those extra files? At this point my backups are failing because there is no space left. Thanks.
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't find/delete files

Do you have the recycle bin enabled on the NAS?
Message 2 of 13
ArchieDad
Aspirant

I am not sure. Where would I find that?
Message 3 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

The recycle bin is setup in the share part of frontview under the cifs tab. Normally the default max size is not as big as the difference you describe.
If you want to view the contents it is just a folder within the share folder.
How have you setup your backup program?
does it delete old backups?
Does it remove files that you have deleted on the source?
Does it keep multiple versions of files?
Message 4 of 13
ArchieDad
Aspirant

The recycle bin is NOT enabled on my NAS.
My backup program is very simple...it just copies files - nothing fancy (no compression, etc.). It does delete files that were deleted on the source and does not keep multiple versions of files. As mentioned, when I view the Properties for each of the visible folders on the NAS, disk space used totals about 160GB. But, when I view Properties on the entire NAS drive itself, it shows I'm using 496GB. I guess there are hidden files or something I cannot see. Any way to get full visibility to all files?

It is possible that Windows Backup was being performed on this NAS drive prior to using this simpler backup program. Could Windows have some file(s) on there that I cannot see? Is there a way to find and delete those file(s)?
Message 5 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

You say you have 500 gb drives in the NAS. How many, and how is the volumê setup. If you only have one then the 496 does not make sense as you wouldn't get this much capacity from a 500 gb drive.
Where are you viewing the used space, from windows or from the NAS admin pages?
Message 6 of 13
ArchieDad
Aspirant

I have only one 500GB drive on the NAS. NAS Admin page says 461GB (100%) used. Windows is weird. Says 495,750,660,096 bytes used, but then says 461GB used. I have one volume on the drive.
Message 7 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

The byte/ gb thing is easy to explain and is simply related to the difference between binary and decimal scales.
I think you'll need to ssh into the box to find out where the capacity is being used. This requires some Linux knowledge which I'm afraid I don't have. I'm sure you'll get a reply from someone who can help
Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

461 GB is measured in powers-of-two (1024*1024*1024 bytes = 1 GB). This is the way Windows reports storage as well. so in fact 495,750,660,096 is about 461 GB.

There likely are hidden files. You can set windows explorer to see them by choosing the tools->options. Then click the view tab. check "show hidden files, folders and drives", also uncheck "hide protected operating system files".
Message 9 of 13
ArchieDad
Aspirant

First of all...thanks for your help and quick responses.

Unhid all the files/folders, etc. and nothing new appeared...results are still the same. Any other thoughts?
Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Are you using Windows to tell you the size of the mapped drive?

Check Frontview (NAS admin ui) and let us know what it says. If you google you will see that the Windows report is not reliable.
Message 11 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

OP said in one of his previous posts that admin GUI said 461gb and 100% used. Do you think he should ssh in to check ?
Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

vandermerwe wrote:
OP said in one of his previous posts that admin GUI said 100% used. Do you think he should ssh in to check ?
I'd assumed that also, but if you re-read it, he actually doesn't say the admin GUI.

He said the "properties of the drive" - which could be the properties shown by Windows for a mapped drive.

So the first request is to make sure we know what Frontview is saying.

EDIT- I do see the admin page reference now.

Assuming that is correct, then using ssh is one option. support.netgear.com is another.

Also, OP should check the full C volume, not just the shares.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements