× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't set up backup job - path error - please help!

amatiz
Aspirant

Can't set up backup job - path error - please help!

Hi,
just configuring my readynas Duo v2 and can't find out how to set up a backup that saves a share to a path to a machine connected to the network...

i want to backup up contents of a share to my local PC (host name TIZ) in a shared folder (backup).
So the network path is \\TIZ\backup

As destination i set up:
Type: remote
Name: remote:Windows/NAS (Timestamp...
Host: TIZ
Path: backup
login and pass none because i didn't set an admin login and pass

I tried EVERYTHING both for Host and path... and always fails the connection test...
//TIZ , backup
TIZ , /backup
TIZ, TIZ/backup

Any combination!
Please help because i'm going mad..!!!
Message 1 of 10
dbott67
Guide

Re: Can't set up backup job - path error - please help!

Try using the IP of TIZ.

If you want the NAS to have full name resolution on your network, you will need to enable WINS service, however I do not think it's currently an option for the new V2 units:

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=217
Message 2 of 10
amatiz
Aspirant

IP of the "TIZ" machine was one of the combination used, same error...
Message 3 of 10
BicesterTerrier
Aspirant

amatiz wrote:
IP of the "TIZ" machine was one of the combination used, same error...

Only a couple of days old, but bumping this.

I am having exactly the same problem as you describe, IP number, both external and network IP, name, \\name, \name. All get an error.

Surely someone is backing up a NAS to a laptop/desktop......
Message 4 of 10
emobadger
Tutor

Only just got my first NetGear readyNAS Duo v2 unit yesterday. I'm a complete NAS newbie. But after spending a good solid 8/9hrs trying to get a backup job to connect to my pc, among various other seemingly simple tasks - I've just about given up. I've tried every path combination also but to no avail. The only way seems to simply open the share up in Win Explorer and manually drag files into the folder which isn't quite the backup solution I was after!

I managed to backup an external drive via USB to the readyNAS, then I realised I couldn't simply delete/change/move files around once they're in a share! Access denied apparently. So I'm having to execute multiple backup jobs from share to share of the entire contents everytime and deleting what's not needed in each share after completion. Its taking forever! I did try to use the path when setting up the backup jobs in the hope that only the selected source folder would be backed up, but unfortunately the entire share gets backed up. Does this sound right? Are the paths being ignored somehow?

I can access the shares from my pc using windows explorer fine, so the connection is possible?
(if you don't count the horrendous file permissions issues I'm having - another hair tear-outer)

I'm just realising now that when it comes to uploading a newer version of a file, I won't be able to overwrite the existing one without first deleting the file using Frontview! This seems very longwinded to me, there's surely got to be something I'm doing wrong?

I realise some of these issues are off topic here, but perhaps they are all somehow connected? If anyone has any incites I'd be very much obliged.

OS Im using is Win XP... sorry if I'm thread hijacking here!
Message 5 of 10
rjstaines
Aspirant

amatiz wrote:
Hi,
just configuring my readynas Duo v2 and can't find out how to set up a backup that saves a share to a path to a machine connected to the network...

i want to backup up contents of a share to my local PC (host name TIZ) in a shared folder (backup).
So the network path is \\TIZ\backup

As destination i set up:
Type: remote
Name: remote:Windows/NAS (Timestamp...
Host: TIZ
Path: backup
login and pass none because i didn't set an admin login and pass

I tried EVERYTHING both for Host and path... and always fails the connection test...
//TIZ , backup
TIZ , /backup
TIZ, TIZ/backup

Any combination!
Please help because i'm going mad..!!!

Exact same thing here. I also have two ReadyNAS Ultra models - the exact same settings work on the Ultra and don't work on the Duo V2.
This new DASHBOARD software is really badly tested and should never have been released to the unsuspecting (and TRUSTING) public - us.

... but it has, and I have to deliver a working NAS drive to a client... If I had any hair left after working in IT for forty years, I'd be tearing it out now.

For goodness sake Netgear, get this sorted. It was bad enough having to do a factory reset just to add shares, but a fundamental function of the device like this needs to work.
Message 6 of 10
rjstaines
Aspirant

Have now discovered that even though Test Connection shows an error, the backup job actually runs OK !!
After messing with trying to get a clean connection test, I rebooted the ReadyNAS Duo V2, entered a new backup job, DIDN'T click Test Connection, saved it and Ran it... OK.
Come on Netgear, this software release is not user friendly and your testing strategy is flakey to say the least.
Does 5.3.5 address these issues, I wonder ?
Roger
Message 7 of 10
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

Suggestion that you should be update the firmware to 5.3.5-beta,this issue will not exist.
Message 8 of 10
e_borri
Aspirant

amatiz wrote:
Hi,

I found the same problem on Readynas NV+ V. 2 running RAIDiator-arm 5.3.5 Beta [T19].
At the end I was able to create my working backup schedules.

This is the method I used for a backup from a Windows shared drive "C:" to Readynas NV+ V. 2 running RAIDiator-arm 5.3.5 Beta [T19]:

BackUp source
Type: Remote
Name: Windows/NAT (Timestamp)
Host: I indicated the IP address
Path: C/Test folder/Test subfolder/
Login: login name for the shared drive
Password: password for the shared drive

BackUp destination:
Type: share
Name: the name of the share I chose as destination
Path: after browsing I indicated the proper path
Login/Password: was left empty

Then I indicated all the remaining options for this backup and I clicked "Apply".

Please note: after clicking "Apply" some datas are no more shown as initially entered!!!
Example, the "Path" was originally indicated as "C/Test folder/Test subfolder/" but now I only read "C".

This is the method I used to backup a share of the Readynas NV+ V. 2 running RAIDiator-arm 5.3.5 Beta [T19] to Readynas NV+ (V. 1) running RAIDiator 4.1.8:

BackUp source
Type: share
Name: the name of the share I chose as destination
Path: No path indicated; I want to backup the whole share
Login/Password: was left empty

BackUp destination:
Type: Remote
Name: Windows/NAT (Timestamp)
Host: I indicated the IP address of the old Readynas NV+ (V.1)
Path: [name of the destination share]/
Login: login name for the destination share
Password: password for the destination share

Then I indicated all the remaining options for this backup and I clicked "Apply".

BackUp is currently in progress, the I assume it is working. 🙂

I hope this help!

Ciao
Enzo
Message 9 of 10
amitngear
Aspirant

it worked when I use IP Address. I noticed WINS server option was not enabled also. Not sure if that would have fixed. 

Thanks for the resolution. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements