× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't stream to Sony DVD media player

dosso31
Aspirant

Can't stream to Sony DVD media player

Hi - I'm completely new to all this so just finding my way around. Appreciate some help.
I'm up and running but would like to stream pictures, music etc via my Sony DVD media player. The Sony can see the NAS, but cannot view any of the files.
When I click on "browse folders" it says "there is no playable file". Same message whatever option I click on.
Reading old forums, I thought I needed to activate Home Media Streaming Server in Streaming Services, but that option is missing.
Do I need to somehow get that option uploaded again, or should I be doing something else??
Thanks in advance 🙂
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Let's start by confirming your NAS. What firmware are you running? 4.1.x or 5.x.x?
Message 2 of 6
dosso31
Aspirant

Just updated it today to 4.1.9
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

dosso31 wrote:
Just updated it today to 4.1.9
Ok, so you have a duo V1. There are some bugs in 4.1.9, not sure that update was a good idea.

Though that might have included a ReadyDLNA update, so you should check again. What happens if you try to stream an ordinary MP3?
Message 4 of 6
dosso31
Aspirant

Thanks for your help so far - much appreciated.

I gave up on trying to use the DVD as a media player and tried the PS3, which is referred to in ReadyDLNA documentation. This seems to work OK, I can see all MP3's (although strangely I must have lots of other music stored in something other than MP3 format, as it can't see lots of the albums), and I seem to have more control too i.e. am able to shuffle from all stored songs. This all seems to work fine, except that I can't seem to shuffle-view through "all pictures" in the same way that I can through "all music".

Still, that's for another day! (probably with a dedicated media player!)

Cheers!
Message 5 of 6
devilsrear
Aspirant

Hi

It seems you are seeing all available content

Its a good idea to setup 3 folders to stream from - music, photos & video

Then its simply a case of copying in the correct content into each of the folder (create a subfolder in music for each album, subfolders in photos for each set of photos etc)

On the V1 you can specify for each of the folders (Music/photos & video) what the content type is - so set them accordingly

You do this by accessing the readynas frontend -> services -> streaming services - change the content type agaisnt each of the folders.

This will resolve your problem

Also on the PS3 when browsing the nas - I tend to use folders - also quicker and shows by album etc
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements