× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot Update App

niallryan
Guide

Cannot Update App

Hi everyone,

I/m back once more with a new issue. I am unable to update my one and only app I have on the ReadyNas Ultra 6

Every time I go and upload the updated file the NAS proceeds to prepare the packages the screen suddenly goes blank and kicks my out where I then have to. log back into the NAS.

The error message I get is:

System: Cannot install application plexmediaserver

Never had the issue before and it works fine on my RN104.

ALSO as a side note - my Plex system cannot access the RN Ultra 6 now either but yet I can access and connect to the files on the NAS as normal on Finder (Mac) and add and remove files etc. I also don't get an option to claim there server if that is the reason,

Regards

N

Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Every time I go and upload the updated file the NAS proceeds to prepare the packages the screen suddenly goes blank and kicks my out where I then have to. log back into the NAS.

Likely you are dealing with this issue:

Posts 1 and 37 are the ones to focus on.

The underlying problem is that the Debian community has deprecated Debian 8 ("Jessie"), which is the Linux version used by OS-6 ReadyNAS.  They've archived the Debian 8 libraries, and the apt configuration (which does the installs) needs to be modified to access the achived libraries. 

It'd be good if Netgear provided a 6.10.10 release with this change (or updated the NAS using a hotfix), but I doubt they will.  

Message 2 of 16
niallryan
Guide

Went to access the NAS using an FTP client called Cyberduck as that FTP works with the RN104 when I was following the guidelines on transferring files from NAS Plex Server app to Mac Plex Server App.

When I click on connect to connect to the NAS (Ultra 6) I get the following:

Interoperability failure 

EOF while reading packet. Please contact your web hosting service provider for assistance.

Any ideas ?

Regards

N

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Are you using FTP-SSL or ordinary FTP?

Have you tried copying with Finder (using SMB)?

Message 4 of 16
niallryan
Guide

Hi
Using FTP with SSL

Regards
N
Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Using FTP with SSL

What happens if you use ordinary FTP?

Message 6 of 16
niallryan
Guide

Hi,

I just get a blank screen and at the bottom saying 0 items.

Regards

N

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

I just get a blank screen and at the bottom saying 0 items.

And FTP is enabled for the share(s)?  With Force FTPS disabled in system->settings->FTP?

Also, are you trying to copy media, or are you trying to copy the plex library files?

Message 8 of 16
niallryan
Guide

Hi @StephenB 

FTP is enabled but then thinking are you asking if the individual FTP sharing for each folder is enabled ?

The reason I am here is I am unable to Update the Plex App in the ReadyNAS Ultra 6. Eberytime I initiate the update the system begins to process the update and when it is preparing I just kicks me out of the system (web UI) and I have to log back in and nothing has happened - as in the update did not happen.

The added note was that I currently have lost connection to the Plex on that NAS as in the ipaddress is not reachable according to Plex but yet I can access all the files as normal and add and edit etc using Finder on my Mac. I am able to mount the NAS.

This was all working normal up to a few days ago - do not know what happened.

Regards

N

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

FTP is enabled but then thinking are you asking if the individual FTP sharing for each folder is enabled ?

Yes.  But more importantly, I am wondering what files you are trying to transfer - the media library (metadata) or the media itself (videos, music, etc)?

Message 10 of 16
niallryan
Guide

Hi @StephenB 

Ah, my apologies. I am looking to move the Plex view state / ratings and users databases. When I run the FTP (Cyberduck in my case) it attempts to connect to the ReadyNas Ultra 6 and I get the following error :

Interoperability failure (192.168.0.46 – SFTP)

EOF while reading packet.

I attempt to connect using the SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol)

Many thanks

N

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@niallryan wrote:

Ah, my apologies. I am looking to move the Plex view state / ratings and users databases. When I run the FTP (Cyberduck in my case) it attempts to connect to the ReadyNas Ultra 6 and I get the following error :

Got it.  I tried that once from my NAS -> Windows, and it didn't go that well.  Among other issues the file paths were very long (too long for Windows to manage them).  Using ssh to zip the folder (and then copying the zip) worked better, but I still ended up just rebuilding the libraries and re-doing the tags, etc that the plex match couldn't handle.  More recently I ran into similar challenges when trying to migrate the databases from one Windows PC to another. So my conclusion overall is that it is easier (though annoying) just to start from scratch.

Anywway, another name for FTP-SSL is SFTP.  You could try using that protocol with FileZilla instead, and see if that works out better.  If you are comfortable using SSH then you could use my trick (creating a zip file of //data/.apps/plexmediaserver, and then putting that in an ordinary share).  

Message 12 of 16
niallryan
Guide

@StephenB 

Hi again - apologies for taking so long to reply and thank you for everything to date. Seemingly upon ready the latest update to Plex which has a PLEASE NOTE statement at the beginning BUT it lists fixes and changes also and one of those is a fix to complete a Plex update for those on older Debian systems - Horrayy !!! LOL

But since speaking to you last I decided to stop Plex running on my Netgear NAS's (all of them) and run Plex server on my Mac Mini (M2) and that connects to the NAS's and everything running smoothly........UNTIL 🙂

I am using docker with Sonarr etc on the Mac mini to organise my data and seemingly I have folders and sub folders on the NAS which hold the data etc etc but a lot of these folders are giving Sonarr permission issues due to a file called ._.DS_Store which is a hidden file located on several folders.

I need to make this file unhidden in order to remove it. I believe the file is harmless to my data as it only holds folder attributes information.

Regards

N

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Do you have "Enhance MacOS" checked in system->settings->SMB?

As I think you know, I don't have any Macs.  I don't know the implications of removing the folder, but you should be able to do that from the NAS web ui (Shares->Browse).  This could be done recursively by ssh (which might be easier if you have a lot of folders). 

But the Mac likely will re-create them. I believe you can prevent that by modifying the "veto files" line in /etc/frontview/smb.conf.defaults to include /._*/.DS_Store/ but that is not something I've ever tried.  You'd need to reboot the NAS after making that change.

Message 14 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

I don't know the implications of removing the folder, but you should be able to do that from the NAS web ui (Shares->Browse).  This could be done recursively by ssh (which might be easier if you have a lot of folders). 

Actually, you can't remove it using the GUI because the GUI does not "see" hidden files or folders (those that start with a . in Linux).  I believe they are also hidden on a Mac, which is why you don't see them via SMB on one.  They are visible in Windows if you select "show hidden folders".  You will have re-name or delete them via SSH or with an SMB or other client that can see them.  At least on Windows, Filezilla does see hidden files via FTP and can rename or delete them.

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements