× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot access ReadyNAS duo v2 from Windows Explorer

jmshap
Aspirant

Cannot access ReadyNAS duo v2 from Windows Explorer

I have had my ReadyNAS for a few weeks now and am not able to access any of the files from Windows 8. As soon as I configured it the shares showed up immediately on my iMac. I have been going back and forth with Netgear customer service for a while now and still am not having any luck. I have been reading through the forum a lot at am still not having any luck. I was hoping someone out there may have a few ideas. Thanks so much.

Jason
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Re: Cannot access ReadyNAS duo v2 from Windows Explorer

What have you tried?
Message 2 of 15
jmshap
Aspirant

Feels like everything.

Username for Windows is not the same on NAS. Customer support had me change my Windows workgroup name to the same as NAS. They had me try ethernet instead of wifi. Disable and re-enable CIFS. I restarted the NAS. I reset the entire NAS and started from scratch. Tried more than one Windows computer in the house and none work.

I think that's everything. Thanks for the speedy reply.
Message 3 of 15
jmshap
Aspirant

I also tried ReadyDROP and remote, FTP. Nothing. Honestly, at this point any way of accessing the files would be fine.
Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Ok. So if you enter \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (e.g., the NAS IP address) into Windows Explorer what happens?

Does Windows not find the NAS, or do you get a password prompt you can't get past, or something else?
Message 5 of 15
jmshap
Aspirant

It says Network Error. Windows cannot access xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

OK. No password prompt first? Just the immediate network error?

And the Windows machines can ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ?
Message 7 of 15
jmshap
Aspirant

Correct and correct.
Message 8 of 15
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi jmshap

I too have a ReadyNAS Duo 2 but I use Winxp Pro SP3 to connect to my NAS shares.

That said, and as far as I can tell, you have not mentioned that you have mapped a network drive to your NAS share via Windows Explorer.

OK, this is what I do when I wnat to connect to my NAS (I am going to use "baby-steps" so that I do not miss anything or cause any misunderstandings).

1) Set up a new Share on your NAS, make sure that the default access rights are "Everyone" set to "Read/Write" and "Allow Anonymous access"

2) In Windows Explorer (not sure if W8 still has this feature) go Tools >>> Map Network Drive, you will be given the next network drive letter e.g. G:/, however you can change this to whatever alphabetical letter you like except A - E (so you don't clash with floppy drive - A, two hard drives - C and D, and a DVD/CD/Blue Ray Read/Writer - E).

You should now be able to browse to your new NAS share and connect to it with a drive letter, make sure that the option to "Reconnect on logon" is ticked so that windows auto connects when you switch your computer on.

If this does not work then there is likely to be an IP address mismatch between your NAS and router, to overcome this problem I would suggest you set your router to always use the same IP address for your NAS.

Once your IP is set you will never loose connection between you NAS, PC and router again.

UK Bob
Message 9 of 15
jmshap
Aspirant

Thanks, but I can't map the drive but Windows can't see it.
Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

I happen to have a Windows 8 laptop in the house at the moment (I hate the OS btw), and it accesses my pro with no problem at all - there was no need to change any settings.

When I connected it to the network it asked if I wanted to enable file-sharing, and I clicked on yes. Did it do something similar on your system?
Message 11 of 15
jmshap
Aspirant

I never saw that. I am so frustrated. I finally spoke with Netgear and they are telling me it is Windows, and not the Duo. I really have no clue what to do.
Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Try this, and see if file-sharing can be enabled: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -on-or-off
Message 13 of 15
jmshap
Aspirant

So, I took it to a computer repair shop this afternoon and they figured it out. They uninstalled and then reinstalled File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks and it cleared up immediately. Insane. Thanks for all the help.
Message 14 of 15
thinksinc
Apprentice

Just a note that I was having the same problem not seeing Shares on my ReadyNAS Pro 6 devices in Windows 8.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and all my Shares immediately reappeared. Thanks!
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements