× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Duo v2 Streaming Over The Internet To My Smartphone

rozel
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo v2 Streaming Over The Internet To My Smartphone

Hi

Having now installed my ReadyNas Duo v2 and been playing around with it during the past 48 hours or so, I have become so impressed at the ease by which I have been able to stream media from my Home Network to my Samsung Galaxy S2 (Android-ICS).

I now want to achieve 2 things if possible: -

1. I would like to stream (ie; not simply be able to download and then play) media files from my ReadyNas via the internet (wifi in particular - 3G a bonus). I have downloaded to my phone BubbleUPNP which seems to be able to do this but I am not sure whether it is possible to install this as an Add-On on my ReadyNas. Can anyone let me know whether what I want to do is possible at the moment and if so how please?

2. I would like to create a User on my ReadyNas for a member of my family, who lives at the moment abroad. I would like her to be able to log-in to my readyNas and be able to download and/or play by streaming, media files, over the Internet - Audio/Photos/Video. I think this may be possible but would like to know exactly how to achieve this please?

I am aware that I may have to set up "Port-Forwarding" on my router? If so my technical skills in respect are next to useless. I have a D-Link Router supplied by Sky but this simply acts as a Modem and my Netgear WNR3500 acts as the actual Router - I am guessing that I may have to make some settings in this piece of kit - again how please? I definately do not want to disturb any other settings as I have an extensive network which works perfectly right now.

Hope someone can help me

Cheers

Roz
Message 1 of 4
rozel
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas Duo v2 Streaming Over The Internet To My Smartp

Hmmm no responses yet 😞

I have turned towards Plex as a possible way. Have installed it on my ReadyNas and have the Andoid App installed on my phone. I think I might have soretd this out myself but wonder if anyone else has this combo and what experiences they have. I have also installed MediaHouse on my phone and this interacts superbly with my servers on my ReadyNas but it isn't designed to work outside my network.

Roz
Message 2 of 4
sharries
Aspirant

Hi Roz, I too have the ReadyNAS Duo 2 and would like to know more about the PLex option? Sorry for hijacking the thread but I thought PLex was not available for ARM processors?

I would like to transcode to a Bravia TV but at the moment I am looking into the WD Live option...

Any info links to Plex would be appreciated.

S
Message 3 of 4
rozel
Aspirant

Sorry to say that I have removed Plex, it stopped my discs spinning down. I have upgraded my server to a RN104 (still waiting for the disc spin-down option for this 🙂 ) but suffice to say Plex does work - you just need the correct software.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements