× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [Case 18543636] Something wrong with the volume's CNID D

carpii
Tutor

[Case 18543636] Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB

Just upgraded one of my NVX's from firmware 4.2.19 to 4.2.20

All seemed to go ok, but I have 2 AFP shares on this NAS.
First one mounted fine, but when mounting the 2nd one (on OSX Lion), I am presented with a MAC OS error dialog...
"Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead.Check server messages for details. Switching to read-only mode."

This firmware update did mention something about AFP changes, but I dont know where to begin troubleshooting this.

Anyone know what this is about? What server messages should I be checking?
What is the impact of using a temporary CNID DB? Which bit is read only (it appears I can write to the share fine)
Message 1 of 10
carpii
Tutor

Re: Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB

It seems this firmware release is just a buggy mess

I cant even copy files to my NAS now, because it claims I dont have permission [edit, actually its because the NAS already told me it was mounting it read-only]

When I try to view the permissions on the destination directory, Finder shows the owner as 'unknown', so I guess the NAS userlist has been destroyed, or perhaps some AFP problem.

Pretty annoying. It seems every time I upgrade my firmware (even after waiting months for it to be hopefully bugfree), I end up hitting some awful problem.
Message 2 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please open a tech support (http://www.readynas.com/support) case and edit the thread title (i.e. subject of first post in the thread) to include your case number.
Message 3 of 10
carpii
Tutor

Thanks mdgm, now submitted
Message 4 of 10
benjaminconnell
Aspirant

So what fixed this for you?
Message 5 of 10
carpii
Tutor

benjaminconnelly wrote:
So what fixed this for you?

I posted a summary here. Im still not convinced its a complete fix for the problem, but if its a workaround then at least it hasnt happened again since I posted it

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59698&start=30
Message 6 of 10
benjaminconnell
Aspirant

The actual fix I posted right underneath your post on that same page a couple months ago. A few weeks later I saw a new firmware release with what I figured out as the change release notes. Ridiculous!! ...I still can't believe that netgear's tech support wanted me to wipe my raid array and do a factory restore on my unit and lose all 9TB of my data because they didn't read the netatalk documentation before upgrading to a new version.
Message 7 of 10
stvsimons
Aspirant

I think it's hit and miss - they're hobby devices, not business gear. I've got two different ReadyNAS units, neither I can use for anything important anymore - retired to hold old jobs for those times we need an old file without having to track down the archive DVD. Among their problems, both will report a CNID error and forever the volume remain read only via AFP. I've tried most of the 'solutions' posted over the past couple years, but usually end up having to nuke the unit, reseting it to factory, reconfiguring, and recopying everything. Doesn't matter which firmware version (4.1.9 down to version unit we origianlly started with), it just depends on which unit to how troublesome it is, my oldest has gone well over a year without this problem, yet the other seems to only last a month or two before I have to repeat the reset process.
Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

stvsimons have you tried contacting NetGear tech support about this issue e.g. at my.netgear.com ? You really should open your own thread with a case number in the thread title.

I think I got this error message when a one-off upgrade to the CNID database was required due to a netatalk upgrade so I just had to be patient while the upgrade took place but since then haven't encountered the issue again.

Now if you're experience is different you should work with support to resolve the issue.
Message 9 of 10
benjaminconnell
Aspirant

stvsimons wrote:
I think it's hit and miss - they're hobby devices, not business gear.

I totally agree with this. Readynas's are an entry level consumer NAS. I would never put one in a situation where I depended on it for my business.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements