× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Computer needs to log onto NAS drive admin to see it when in same room?

rossngm
Aspirant

Computer needs to log onto NAS drive admin to see it when in same room?

Hi

I recently appeared in these pages to try and get my ready cloud working so I can access work files from home, all done great.

In doing so for some reason my computer now cannot see the network drives (we just use the NAS simply as a shared ndrive to work from about 7 pc's) unless I logon to it?

Can anyone tell me what setting I have changed? My pc is the only one which needs to logon to the NAS drive Admin page to access files.

We don't log onto the windows 10 pc's in a fancy way at all just a name and password, and we don't have accounts on the NAS drive.

any help appreciated..

Ross.

Message 1 of 8
rossngm
Aspirant

NAs drive is RN314 firm ware 6.6.1

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If you enter \\nas-ip-address into Windows file explorer, do you see the NAS shares?  Use the real NAS IP address, and be careful to use the correct slash character.

Message 3 of 8
rossngm
Aspirant

it still asked for the login details.

I have now entered them and said save my credentials.

When I next reboot or have a power cut the NAS drive will obtain a new ip address so I guess I will need to re-do this?

My biggest concern is that I have no idea why it has asked for a login name and password, the other 6 computers do not and have never been asked for a logon??

Thanks hope someone can help me understand what is going on.

Ross.

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@rossngm wrote:

When I next reboot or have a power cut the NAS drive will obtain a new ip address so I guess I will need to re-do this?

You should be able to reserve the NAS IP  address in the router (or DHCP server).  Netgear routers call this feature "address reservation", sometimes it is called "aarp binding" or "mac binding".  If that isn't available, then I'd suggest assigning a static ip address.

@rossngm wrote:

My biggest concern is that I have no idea why it has asked for a login name and password, the other 6 computers do not and have never been asked for a logon??

Thanks hope someone can help me understand what is going on.

There have been some changes in Windows behavior in this area over the past few months, so there is a little mystery still.

Usually this happens when the PC's login matches a username on the NAS.  If there is no credential, windows uses the PC user/pass. If the password doesn't match, the NAS rejects the login and asks for credentials.  This happens even if anonymous access is turned on in the NAS (a wrong password is treated differently from an unknown username).

One common case is when the PC is logged in as "admin".

Message 5 of 8
rossngm
Aspirant

thanks,

I understand the ip thingy.

My login for the pc is not admin, it is simply "ross"

Looking at the shares on my NAS drive's admin page the three folders we use to work off all are set to anonymous permission only.

?????????

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@rossngm wrote:

My login for the pc is not admin, it is simply "ross"

And there is no "ross" account on the NAS?  If so, then that is part of the mystery I referred to above. 

You might run windows update manually, and see if the PC is up to date.

Message 7 of 8
rossngm
Aspirant

no accounts on the NAS

updates are automatic and we're up to date I'm fairly certain.

Thanks for trying to help!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements