× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Crashplan on Duo/NV+ v2? [SOLVED + TUTORIAL]

filzip77
Aspirant

I kept all default values.
The default upload transfer increased and stabilized around 1.3 Mbps (most of the files are pictures of 5MB).
I decided to limit the upload to 800 Kbps in order to do not slow down too much my internet connection.

Have you check your CPU load? The command is

What are the size of the files you transfer? Remember that the NAS ARM has a CPU much less powerful than in your PC. Computing the hash table (MD5) for a big file may use a lot of CPU time on the ReadyNas ARM.

On my side I did not notice a high CPU load during the transfer.
Message 26 of 61
StephenB
Guru

filzip77 wrote:
On my side I did not notice a high CPU load during the transfer.
This depends on the file size and the file extension. Photos are probably small enough that CPU load is not a factor. DVD or BluRay media files are another matter. Though at 1 mbps it might not be practical to back those up to CrashPlan Central anyway.

The 3.2 engine seems to be better on CPU than the older 3.0 engine though. My pro is uploading at about 8 mbps at the moment, and the CPU load is only 3%. I think it was much higher in early March (with the old engine). Back then I was frequently saturating one of the Pro cores. It is still taking about half the memory though.
Message 27 of 61
iearmand
Aspirant

I may have been following a red heron. I was checking through my my.service.xml file looking to change some settings and noticed that my servicehost setting had not been set correctly (0.0.0.0). when I fixed it crashplan started to sync correctly older files rather then upload them.
once the initial sync is done I will take a closer look at the upload speeds I get.
one thing I have noticed is that crashplan does start to slow on PC when you have a vast amount of small files....I'm guessing ths part MD5, part file reading, part de-dup & part compression. I will tale a closer look once the intial sync is complete.

Thanks for the feedback though. will give me plenty to fiddle with.
Message 28 of 61
disconect
Aspirant

Really interesting topic ! (flag ;-)...)
thx for the work !
Message 29 of 61
sphardy1
Apprentice

Has anyone noticed crashplan not auto-starting on boot?

The init script is correctly linked in /etc/rc2.d, and calling it manually starts crashplan proving the script/link are valid. But it doesn't appear to work on boot. I haven't checked more deeply to see if the script is just not called or if crashplan fails for some reason, and I have a cron job that regularly checks crashplan is running as a precaution that works around the issue anyway.

But anyone else seen this?

Also - has anyone figured if this setup survives a firmware upgrade?
Message 30 of 61
StephenB
Guru

It starts up automatically when I reboot my pro, and survived the firmware update from 4.2.19 to 4.2.20
Message 31 of 61
sphardy1
Apprentice

Yup - and I have the same experience with my x86 based Ultra

However, I'm asking about ARM based units (Duo & NV+ v2) where, unlike the x86 units, libraries need to be updated that may be overwritten by a firmware update, and/or there may be other differences affecting startup
Message 32 of 61
StephenB
Guru

It starts up automatically when I reboot my pro, and survived the firmware update from 4.2.19 to 4.2.20
Message 33 of 61
sphardy1
Apprentice

Just updated from 5.3.3 to 5.3.5 (which seems rather buggy...) and Crashplan appears to have survived OK. Still doesn't autostart on boot, but all my machines have connected back to CP and appear to be running OK. Will report back if I see any issues
Message 34 of 61
nasxpert
Aspirant

how is the performance of this setup? And is this setup successful for multiple users? its been over 8 months since the release of this product and yet there are less than 10 community add-ons? no dropbox? no real plex media server setup? was it worth the investment if its not going to be supported as well as the intel NASes?
Message 35 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There are more add-ons under development. However a dropbox add-on for ARM is unlikely. Precompiled x86 binaries are used for x86 (Intel) ReadyNAS. If Dropbox were to provide the source so it could be ported to ARM then it might be possible.

There is a Plex add-on for ARM at http://www.plexapp.com/linux/linux-pms-download.php (no Transcoding though as CPU is not powerful enough).

There's never going to be as good a range of add-ons for ARM as there is for x86 due to various factors (i.e. not having source code available so can't compile for non-x86 system) but there will be some growth in the range of add-ons available.
Message 36 of 61
nasxpert
Aspirant

ok sounds good. thanks.

Has anyone tried running crashplan while streaming media onto their tv and tablet at the same time? Does anyone know if the cpu can handle that pressure?
Message 37 of 61
StephenB
Guru

I have a Pro, so I can't really speak to the NV+ v2 performance.

Transcoding requires a lot of CPU, but streaming w/o transcoding does not. If you aren't using transcoding (for instance, if you are just using ReadyDLNA), then I think you won't see any issue at all.

Also, Crashplan uses CPU while its uploading new files (or recovering files), but doesn't use much when the backup is caught up. It does a daily disk scan, but you can set the time for that so it is off-hours. So when CrashPlan is caught up, there would also be no CPU contention.
Message 38 of 61
psindrup
Aspirant

Hi all

Is there no way at all to get CrashPlan (or other on-line storage providers) to work on a ReadyNAS version 1?

Thanks a million.

Peter
Message 39 of 61
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ReadyNAS Vault works on the v1.
Message 40 of 61
kirtapatrik
Aspirant

Hello

my backup is working, thx for the tutorial.

But after every reboot of the nas, I have to manually start CrashPlan.
Any ideas to fix this problem?

Thanks for your help
Patrik
Message 41 of 61
mpdeglau
Aspirant

I'm getting this error when I try to install libjna-java

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libc6-dev : Depends: libc6 (= 2.11.3-4) but 2.11.2-10 is to be installed
libjna-java : Depends: libffi5 (>= 3.0.9-2) but it is not going to be installed
tzdata-java : Depends: tzdata (= 2012g-0squeeze1) but 2012c-0squeeze1 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I've tried using -f to correct it, but it doesn't work. Does anyone know what I need to do?

Thanks
Message 42 of 61
mpdeglau
Aspirant

I finally got it to work.

If anyone ever comes across this, this is what I did. I ended up breaking the apache server somehow doing some random debian updates and installs.
Reinstalled the OS on the NAS and uninstalled crashplan.
Followed the directions on the first page from the beginning.
Once I was installing libjna-java I got the error:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
cifs-utils : Depends: libtalloc2 (>= 2.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
libjna-java : Depends: libffi5 (>= 3.0.9-2) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I then tried
apt-get -f install libtalloc2

This error came up:
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libtalloc2_2.0.1-1_armel.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libtalloc.so.2', which is also in package samba 2:3.5.15-njnetgear1
configured to not write apport reports
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libtalloc2_2.0.1-1_armel.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

This was fixed by
dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libtalloc2_2.0.1-1_armel.deb

I was then able to install libjna-java. From there everything worked as expected and I'm in the process of backing my server up to CrashPlan
Message 43 of 61
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

I am an experienced Windows (and to some extent DOS) user but have absolutely no knowledge of Linux. I would like to get Crashplan tunning on my NV+ v2 and my Ultra but am not at all sure how to enter the instructions in the guide. I would really appreciate it if someonw would post a 'Dummie's Guide' giving simple step by step instructions to help people like me add these to a clean ReadyNAS.

Thanks
Message 44 of 61
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

I have managed to get Crashplan running on my NV+ v2 and can backup across my network from 9 out of 10 PCs. The PC which will not back up is the one that I used to set CP up on the ReadyNAS. I can PuTTY into the NAS from it with root access, I can edit the CP settings and access the headless CP on the NAS and when I change the settings back I can access the CP desktop on the PC. I can telnet to the NAS from it

The problem is that when I try to activate the backup on this PC the NAS is greyed out in Computers and when I attempt to connect, I get a 'waiting for connection' message. I have made sure the PC firewall is allowing ports 4242 and 4243 as well as Crashplan (the same as I have done on the other PCs) but still I cannot connect.

Has anyone any ideas what might be causing this?
Message 45 of 61
StephenB
Guru

Did you undo the edits you made to C:\Program Files (x86)\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties when you set up the system?
Message 46 of 61
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

Yes, they are changed back and I can access CP on the PC.It's just that the PC can't backup to the NAS even though all the others can.
Message 47 of 61
StephenB
Guru

That seems odd. I suppose you could try uninstalling-reinstalling CP on that PC.

You could also try submitting the issue to crashplan (or post it in their forums), though if you are only using the free version they might not give you too much help.
Message 48 of 61
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen

I originally set up the NV+ at home before taking it to the office where I want to use it and noticed that the address CP was reporting was the one (192.168.1.124) that the NAS had during setup and not the office address (192.168.1.6). Unfortunately before I realised that this was still showing in the ReadyNAS Dashboard, I uninstalled CP and reinstalled it.

Now however things have moved on a bit.

I can access CP on the NV+ from a PC using PuTTY and the CP GUI on the PC and have it logged in to my account. On the PCs I want to back up to the NV+ the 'button' is green and I can setup a backup but it seems to connect, says synchronising and then immediately get a message 'Destination Unavailable - backup location not available'. I also noted that though the internal and external addresses are correct, the external one doesn't show a port number

The NV+ is setup to save the backup files in /backup/CrashPlanData/ and this folder has Read Write and Execute permissions and I can see the folder and create new sub folders from Windows but it does feel like a permissions issue

I would appreciate any suggestions to get the backups running.

Thanks
Message 49 of 61
StephenB
Guru

Is there anything useful in the log files? (/usr/local/crashplan/log and also /usr/local/crashplan/bin)
Message 50 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 60 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements