× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Creating new folders is slow

noviton
Aspirant

Creating new folders is slow

Hi,

We have a ReadyNAS 212 in a RAID 1 configuration. Our data consists of around 40,000 folders and in each folder there around 5-10 files. My users use File Explorer from Windows 10 to browse, read and manage folders/docs in the NAS box. Lately, my users complaining that when they create a new folder, the process takes a few seconds and that it's getting slow.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the whole process? Maybe turning off the indexing as I think that it gets no use since no one uses the netgear app to browse for files and folders.

Thanks

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

• What firmware are you running?
  • How full is the data volume?
  • Have you ever run the maintenance functions (balance, defrag, and scrub)?

When performance degrades, it is always good to check disk health.  So perhaps download the log zip file and check the SMART stats.

Message 2 of 12
noviton
Aspirant

Firmware: 6.9.3

It's about 1/3 full.

I haven't run any maintenance task. I didn't know that they existed to be honest.

A follow-up question about the File Search. Do we really need this to be enabled? I mean all users browse folders through Windows 10's File Explorer, is File Search makes any difference to this?

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@noviton wrote:

A follow-up question about the File Search. Do we really need this to be enabled? I mean all users browse folders through Windows 10's File Explorer, is File Search makes any difference to this?

You can disable it.  It's helpful if you are looking for files via the admin web ui, but Windows File Explorer doesn't use it.

@noviton wrote:

I haven't run any maintenance task. I didn't know that they existed to be honest.

They are on the volume settings wheel - they can be run immediately or run on a schedule.  You should set up a schedule for them.  You could start with the disk test, then balance, then defrag.

Another aspect with 6.9.3 is that "strict sync" is enabled by default on all shares.  You could try turning that off for some shares, and see if that makes a difference.

Message 4 of 12
noviton
Aspirant

Tried all 3 of them but nothing has improved yet.

Any other suggestions?

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@noviton wrote:

Tried all 3 of them but nothing has improved yet.

I'm not completely sure what "all three" are.  Did you try disabling "strict sync"?

Message 6 of 12
noviton
Aspirant

You made 3 suggestions on your previous reply and I tried them all. Unfortunately, none of these worked.

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@noviton wrote:

You made 3 suggestions on your previous reply and I tried them all. Unfortunately, none of these worked.

Again, did you try disabling strict sync on the shares?

That wasn't one of the three things I asked you to check in my initial reply, but I did suggest it later on.

Message 8 of 12
noviton
Aspirant

Yes, I disabled strict sync on shares. No difference at all.

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@noviton wrote:

Yes, I disabled strict sync on shares. No difference at all.

Thx for clarifying.

How many users do you have?  Has that increased much over time?

Also, you mentioned 40,000 folders.  How are they structured?  (If you have a lot of folders in the root of each share, you might try restructuring by adding subfolders).

Another aspect is the network - it might worth making sure that the connections are still negotiating as gigabit.  Are you using link aggregation in the RN212?

Message 10 of 12
noviton
Aspirant

There are around 6-7 users connecting to the NAS.

All folders are inside a folder that is placed on root. Restructuring 40,000 folders is not an option right now.

I don't use link aggregation but clients connect via gigabit connection, I tested that.

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@noviton wrote:

Restructuring 40,000 folders is not an option right now.

I think we can rule out the number of users, and you've already checked the network.  You probably should check the disk SMART stats, just in case there's something going on there.

Folder browsing speed isn't a strength of Samba, and I suspect that you'll need to restructure to really solve this. 

FWIW, another approach (much more expensive) would be to get a faster NAS with more bays, and add two SSDs for metadata tiering.

In the meantime, you could try link aggregation, as it might help a bit.  You could use TLB (or ALB) with an unmanaged switch.  If the switch is managed, you could use LACP, or a static LAG on the switch with Round-Robin on the NAS.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements