× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Crontab won't run.

GAPP
Aspirant

Crontab won't run.

So I got flexget together with Transmission, to download series etc itself. It used to work, but lately I have to execute the job myself, which is really annoying. I want everything to run automatically.

I'm using this:
echo "*/30 * * * * /usr/local/bin/flexget" > /root/crontabfile
crontab /root/crontabfile

Like I said, it used to make crontab run, but lately that won't work. So instead I have to do a "flexget execute" for it to work.

Anyone got any idea, what could be the problem? I followed the guide I found here: http://flexget.com/wiki/InstallWizard/ReadyNAS
Message 1 of 9
GAPP
Aspirant

If someone could shed some light on this for me, I would greatly appriciate it.

I basically just need the crontab to run a command "flexget execute" once every 6th hour.
Message 2 of 9
ljung
Tutor

edit with crontab -e (ctrl+o = save, ctrl+x = quit)

and I guess it should look something like "0 */6 * * * /usr/local/bin/flexget >/dev/null"

remember to always leave a empty line at the bottom.
Message 3 of 9
GAPP
Aspirant

For some reason, that didn't do it. It still won't autorun. How can I tell the crontab to run "flexget execute" automatically?
Message 4 of 9
ljung
Tutor

Are you sure it's executable, else do chmod +x /usr/local/bin/flexget
Message 5 of 9
GAPP
Aspirant

Not sure if it's executable or not, I'm not experienced with this system. If I run the flexget execute command, it executes the command correctly though, which is why I thought it would work.

I just did this now:

# chmod +x /usr/local/bin/flexget

Can I type something to test the crontab, to see if it works, or do I just wait 6 hours every time to check? 🙂
Message 6 of 9
xeltros
Apprentice

Did you reload cron after doing the modification ? ( /etc/init.d/cron restart ) Cron checks updates on config files only on start I think, at least I've been taught to restart with each modification.
You can also paste your file to the /etc/cron.hourly or /etc/cron.daily if you are not in need for a special timer.

PS : you cron will execute "flexget" not "flexget execute" is any different for this command ?

When testing I set on minute timer and make sure the script has some kind of output, if it works I change the timer and the output (if necessary). Maybe there is a better way to do it though.
Message 7 of 9
GAPP
Aspirant

# /etc/init.d/cron restart
Restarting periodic command scheduler: cron.

Yes, the command is very different. It has to be exactly "flexget execute".

I don't really need a special timer. Once a hour is perfect too. How do I do that exactly? 🙂
Message 8 of 9
ljung
Tutor

Then you must have execute as your first argument: "0 */6 * * * /usr/local/bin/flexget execute >/dev/null" for every 6'th hour or for one every hour: "0 * * * * /usr/local/bin/flexget execute >/dev/null"
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements