× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DOS program running from NAS share can't write files

biames
Aspirant

DOS program running from NAS share can't write files

I want to run a legacy MS-DOS program from a share on a Netgear NAS (the DOS exe. "lives" on the share but "runs" on the client). I've created the share on the NAS and placed the necessary files (flat binary tables, application/database). This setup is running in a domain environment W2K3 domain controller/Win XP Pro clients). NAS is joined to the domain. A drive share is created on the clients and the program starts up via a batch file on the client directed to the exe. on the share along with path statements (the path settings have been verified as accurate). I'm able to fire-up the program and navigate menus, start and read data from the program. Many of the menu driven programs write data to the share and in that process need to create temp files on the share. I've tried "Everyone" full control but no matter how I set the permissions on the NAS... the NAS will not write the temp files from the client to the NAS share. Al file updates are run through temp files and they can't be written directly to the data files using the DOS program. Keep in mind that I can cut/copy/past/run/read/traverse directories, etc. (full control) on this share with domain_admin or domain_user rights set via windows explorer security settings tab (Ive set securty per Netgear's documentation when used in a domain environment via security tab on the share). Anybody else been crazy enough to try this... and actually get it to work?
Message 1 of 6
TeknoJnky
Hero

some dos programs (and even old windows programs) are simply not compatible with networked shares.

does the program work when stored on a windows/server shared drive?

if not, then you are probably out of luck.

if it does, you may want to try disable write caching and/or oplocks on the share.

when going over a network, some programs do no like the various caching that happens over the network (ie like database files, financial programs, do not work well over networks)
Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I can't tell from your post if you have mapped the network drive to a drive letter or not.

If you already did map the drive, then you probably are out of luck.

If not, you should try mapping it.
Message 3 of 6
biames
Aspirant

TeknoJnky:
Program works fine when shared from a Windows workstation or server (XPpro/W2K3) but not the NAS. I did disable caching on the NAS (it was on when share was created), however, I did not try re-booting the NAS. I'll give that a try and post the results.

StephenB:
Yes the share on the NAS is mapped as a drive on the client workstation (mapped as H: and the associated path statements in the batch file starting the program are specified as the H: drive)

Thanks for the reply's guys
Message 4 of 6
biames
Aspirant

TeknoJnky:
I disabled the caching on the share, re-booted the NAS... no luck. Thanks anyway.
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is this on your ReadyNAS 1100?
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements