× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DUO Sparc stuck at boot after Upgrade to 4.1.14

soulshots
Aspirant

DUO Sparc stuck at boot after Upgrade to 4.1.14

Hi all,

after trying to upgrade to 4.1.14 my DUO stuck at boot. Of course i looked around here a lot and tried a lot of things now. My problem is always to know, how long i have to wait, when i start an action. Another problem for me is, how i can locate the DUOs internal problem (has the unit only a problem or is the unit broken and cannot be used anymore). So i am seeking for help for my main problems:

* When i try to make an USB boot the fan is first very fast and the power LED very quick flashing. The USB stick LED is after a while also flashing. After a while the fan reduce speed and the power LED is flashing a little bit slowly. The USB stick LED is constant on. This status continues. My problem is, i don't understand how long i have to wait and what will happen. What must i see, when the USB boot is ready???

* Maybe i made a lot of things wrong now. Trying to start a factory reset now ends in a constant hard disk LED 2 constant on. What does this LED code means???

* Can i start a DUO without harddisks? Must this work?

* Any way known to repair the DUO or set the DUO to factory default which is not described in the documentation? E.g. putting a new flash memory chip in the board or something like this.

Thanx for any help!

Detlev
Message 1 of 6
Nhellie
Virtuoso

check this recovery guide from bott.ca, http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=159

also, here the LED patterns:

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=324
Message 2 of 6
soulshots
Aspirant

Nothings helps. I have also no contact via RAIDar to the unit. (The switch shows a 1000MB link, so network hardware maybe ok.)

I am just scanning the disks with r-linux. Looks good, but i the moment i really don't know.

Any other method known here to make a factory reset? Or a reflash? I read the normal documentation and all the things on bott.ca.

Detlev
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I wouldn't reflash - at least not yet.

If you have a spare SATA disk, try removing your drives (NAS powered down), and inserting the spare. Then power up, and see if a factory install happens. (Label the disks by slot when you remove them). That will confirm that the NAS hardware is ok,

I'd probably grab the data with Linux Reader (unless you have a backup), and then try a factory reset. (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/) This is referenced in Nhellie's link.
Message 4 of 6
soulshots
Aspirant

Well, i was just able to do an USB boot recover.
The DUO is running now (with a test disk).
My USB stick partition was wrong, so USB boot don't work ...
(Some docs in the net are not clear enough at this point ...,
i cleared the partition table and now have to use /dev/disk2, not disk2s1!
On a MacBook Pro.)

Now i will see, if my original disks are still working.

Thanx for the help here.
Message 5 of 6
soulshots
Aspirant

Finally my DUO is running again.

Well, i don't know what happened while updating.
I found this in the logs:

Sun Jan 18 14:57:32 CET 2015 System is up.
Sun Jan 18 14:56:19 CET 2015 Firmware update failed verifying flash.
Sun Jan 18 14:55:30 CET 2015 Volume scan found no errors.
Sun Jan 18 14:29:36 CET 2015 Gerät wird neu gestartet …

At this point i had no access to my unit. RAIDar was not working.

No reset, no reboot mode helped.

Trying to repair the unit failed, because i make a mistake with my USB stick.
Before using an USB stick it will be good, to clean all partitions on it.
Make it really empty - no partition table. Than "dd" will work. After this i was able to
make an USB boot.

After all this my disks where still ok.

(I had - of course - a backup on a third external disk. But to be really sure, i tried to
access the first disk from the DUO. I was using r-linux on Fedora 20 (www.r-tt.com).
A really good tool. I was able to extract 99,9 % of my files.)

Thanx again for any help here.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements