× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DUO and Lost+Found files

muzicman61
Tutor

DUO and Lost+Found files

I have about 30gb of files in my Lost+Found folder (as seen from my Windows PC). I delete them and they just come back. How can I get rid of them permanently? I have no idea what they are and would like to recover the space. I tried to delete them via ssh but when I go into that directory I don't see the file even using the ls -la command. Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: DUO and Lost+Found files

@muzicman61 wrote:

I tried to delete them via ssh but when I go into that directory I don't see the file even using the ls -la command. Thanks!

You should be able to go into the lost+found folder.  Where are you looking?

Generally speaking, when linux uncovers file system issues, it will often put files (or parts of files) into lost+found.  This can happen when the system does a volume scan (which if often does when the NAS boots).

A brute-force approach is to back up the NAS, do a factory default, reconfigure it, and then restore the data from backup.  But you might want to check the disk health before you do that.

Message 2 of 4
muzicman61
Tutor

Hey Stephen.... long time no see.

The health of the disks are fine.  So I am seeing these files when i browse the root of the nas in Windows (\\ipaddress\c\lost+found).  There is a lost+found directory and if i delete the files they go away, but then once i refresh the directory they come right back.

I used Putty to ssh directly into the DUO.  From the root I saw the lost+found folder.  I cd'd into that folder but don't see any files.

I could back everything up to another nas and do the restore but that seems like a drastic solution.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@muzicman61 wrote:

I used Putty to ssh directly into the DUO.  From the root I saw the lost+found folder.  I cd'd into that folder but don't see any files.

Do you mean the OS partition, or did you also look on /c for the lost+found folder?

@muzicman61 wrote:

Hey Stephen.... long time no see.

Definitely been a while Smiley Happy  Nice to hear from you.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements