× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DUO has bad disk, won't boot. How to replace bad drive?

sravet
Aspirant

DUO has bad disk, won't boot. How to replace bad drive?

My Duo has been serving files for several years now without any problems. One day I got an email:

ATA error count has increased in the last day.

Disk 1:
Previous count: 0
Current count: 397

Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.

The next day it would not respond, and would not boot. No front page, didn't show up in Raidar, etc. I've had an extended conversation with support via email that hasn't gone anywhere. I've tried booting in telnet mode and skipping the volume check. The thing is dead unless I boot with both drives removed. Then it shows up in Raidar (but no FrontPage) although I can't do anything or check any logs that way.

It seems like I should be able to boot the unit with only drive 2 installed since drive 1 has the error. Then insert a replacement disk for drive 1 and it will rebuild everything. However the user's manual has big warnings about removing the wrong drive and losing data. The support rep was going to check if this was safe and get back to me but never did. So I'm on the forum seeking help. Is this a safe plan? I want my box back and I'll worry about the warranty reimbursement later.

thanks for any suggestions,
--steve
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: DUO has bad disk, won't boot. How to replace bad drive?

So long as the replacement disk you put in slot 1 is a blank unformatted disk it's worth a go.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements