× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Data Degraded but Volumes are fine?

getads
Aspirant

Data Degraded but Volumes are fine?

Hi there,

I've had a ReadyNAS 314 taking care of my Time Machine backups for around 2 years now with no problems.

Currently, the ReadyNAS LED is flashing "data ; Degraded" so I had a look inside the ReadyCloud admin page which confirms the yellow degraded status.

However, when I look at the 'Volumes' tab, every volume is green indicating there doesn't seem to be any problem: http://screencast.com/t/KrBKNex3uy5R

I'm a bit confused - is there a step I should take now? Or is this just a heads up that I'll most likely soon need to buy new drive/s?

Sorry if this is a noob question.

Adam

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you hover your mouse over the disk you should see some stats.

Your logs show that disk 3 (one of your WD20EARS disks) has failed. It has 945 reallocated sectors and a current pending sector count of 695. I would suggest replacing this e.g. with a WD20EFRX.

Your smart_history.log would suggest this disk was failing possibly as far back as April. Certainly by May/June.

Do you have a backup?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Degraded means there is no raid redundancy, so any disk failure will result in loss of the volume.

How many volumes do you have? (with xraid you'd only have one).

Message 2 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do the SMART stats for your disks look fine?

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 3 of 12
getads
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

I have a Raid5 setup with 4 drives but one volume  😕

Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 11.56.40 am.png

Message 4 of 12
getads
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm,

Just sent you my logs via email.  

Not sure what the Smart stats are for the disks? Apart from the yellow 'degraded' alert, there is nothing else in any interface that looks like a problem? 

Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you hover your mouse over the disk you should see some stats.

Your logs show that disk 3 (one of your WD20EARS disks) has failed. It has 945 reallocated sectors and a current pending sector count of 695. I would suggest replacing this e.g. with a WD20EFRX.

Your smart_history.log would suggest this disk was failing possibly as far back as April. Certainly by May/June.

Do you have a backup?

Message 6 of 12
getads
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm,

Sure thing, I can replace this disk. I assume that I can just remove the current disk and replace with a fresh one? Then the RAID configuration should take care of syncing - is that correct?

ps. What do you mean if I have a backup? This ReadyNAS is my backup?

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@getads wrote:

ps. What do you mean if I have a backup? This ReadyNAS is my backup?

For some people, the ReadyNAS is only used to back up their PCs.  If the ReadyNAS fails, not much harm is done since the original files are still on the PCs. 

But if you have original files on the NAS, then you do need backups of the NAS.  RAID is not enough to keep the data safe.  

With one disk failure, you have no RAID redundancy, so if a second disk were to fail you'd lose everything on the NAS.  So you should make sure that you have copies of everything that matters to you.

@getads wrote:

Sure thing, I can replace this disk. I assume that I can just remove the current disk and replace with a fresh one? Then the RAID configuration should take care of syncing - is that correct?

Yes.  Remove the failed disk, and insert the unformatted replacement with the NAS running.

I also recommend a WD20EFRX.

Message 8 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. Provided the other disks are fine that should work fine. However if one of the other disks happens to be failing then it is possible the resync may fail, which is why I asked you if you have a backup.

So the primary copy of your data is on your PC and the NAS is holding the backup of that data? Or do you mean something else?

No important data should be stored on just the one device.

Message 9 of 12
getads
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB,

Yes, my files are still on my laptop, so this is simply the backup. 

However this is the TimeMachine backup, so if I was to lose the TimeMachine, I would still have my current files, but I would lose all of my file version history stored in TimeMachine.

Thanks for your help!

Message 10 of 12
getads
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm - just ordered a replacement HDD.

Thanks for all your help!  🙂

Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome. I should also have mentioned that you could get a higher capacity disk if you want, but you would need two of these in the NAS to see any increase in volume capacity. You would need to replace the failing disk, wait for the sync to complete then add the next disk.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements