× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dead RN316

q3d
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dead RN316

I have a RN316 (6 bay) that stopped working (not powering up) - it's EOL.

I'd like to replace the PSU to determine if that is the reason or if it's the MB.

The exiting PSU is a DPS-200PB-186A (see attached) - 20 pin
AC INPUT:
100V-240V ~3.5A, 47Hz-63Hz
DC OUTPUT: +3.3V (6A), +5V (12A), +12V (13A), +5VSB (2A)
MAX Output: 200W
60W, 150W MAX

RN316-Original_PSURN316-Original_PSU

I have a similar PSU, but I'm not sure if it can be plug'n'play'd.- 20 + 4 PIN, + others
FSP270-60LE
AC INPUT:
100-240V, 5-3A, 60-50Hz
MAX Output:
300W (+3.3V & +5V = 130W) (+3.3V & +5V & +12V1 & +12V2=277W)
270W (+3.3V & +5V = 130W) (+3.3V & +5V & +12V1 & +12V2=247W)
DC Output:
+3.3V === 16.0A (ORG), +5 === 18.0A (RED), +12V1 ===16.0A (YEL/BLOACK)
+12V2 === 10.0A (YEL), +5Vsb === 2.5A (PURP), -12V = 0.8A (BLUE)
P.G. SIGNAL (GRAY), GROUND (BLACK)

Alt-PSUAlt-PSU

I can't seem to find any PIN config settings for the RN316 to confirm if the new PSU will work or not.

Also, if the PSU is not the issue and the MB is gone - does anyone have any simple recommendations for getting data off a 6 bay (I think it was raid X) setup? I won't be buying another NAS as they're too much if a waste of time and way too 'custom' built for my purposes (too many single points of failure, MB, PSU, etc.), but I would still like to recover the data from the RAID perhaps eventually using a dedicated server with a raid SATA card, and wanted to just make sure there were not special Netgear raid considerations for re-setup? 

In the meantime, can the (6) drives be connected to a PC and data recovered using a RAID setup (Windows/Linux)?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, the modifications to the 20-pin connector for the legacy NAS are the same as for the native OS6 ones.  You should be able to confirm that based on the colors of the wires in your old one.  Most of the later ones do need the 4-pin CPU power connector, so that supply won't work with those since it lacks one.  But since the 316 doesn't need it, it should work fine.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@q3d wrote:

In the meantime, can the (6) drives be connected to a PC and data recovered using a RAID setup (Windows/Linux)?

Yes, the NAS uses software RAID (mdadm) and the BTRFS file system.  You can manually mount the array under Linux. you can also spin up a ReadyNAS VM on the PC.

In addition, some RAID recovery software supports both mdadm and btrfs - ReclaiMe is one that runs under Windows.

Message 2 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

The RN316 (and all ReadyNAS with a 20-pin power connector) pin-out is non-standard.  The -5 and -12V pins have been replaced with +12V.  For a simple driveless test to see if it'll power up, you can just pull or cut the -5V and -12V pins from the power supply cable.  If that works, then splice in 12V from one of the unused connectors, like the 4-pin Molex (old style hard drive) connectors.

Message 3 of 9
q3d
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

The RN316 (and all ReadyNAS with a 20-pin power connector) pin-out is non-standard.  The -5 and -12V pins have been replaced with +12V.  For a simple driveless test to see if it'll power up, you can just pull or cut the -5V and -12V pins from the power supply cable.  If that works, then splice in 12V from one of the unused connectors, like the 4-pin Molex (old style hard drive) connectors.

So on a 20 pin PSU cable, these 2 pins (highlighted below in blue), once removed should at least power up the NAS? (for anyone else reading this thread):

connector_atx_20_pinout.gif

So, I remove those 2 pins from the new PSU and the NAS powered up fine (so the old PSU is gone).

Next, I just replace those with pins with 2x +12V wires? 

The usual ATX PSU 4pin connectors have 2x +12V wires - I can use these 2 (yellow) in the (above) 20 PIN cable instead? 

q3d_0-1711612069782.png

Or even using 2 of the PSU 4-pin (HDD) ones (yellow)?

q3d_0-1711612202689.png

Are these 2 +12 V pins used to power the HDD's in the RAID array? 

Message 4 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I cannot see your pictures until a moderator approves them.  But the wires in question should be white and blue, and I'll elaborate on a couple things:

You can just remove the negative voltage pins and power on the NAS without drives.  The additional +12V pins are to assure that there is sufficient current available to spin up the drives, so powering up with drives and no additional power is not advisable.  But powering on without drives should be enough to tell you if the power supply is the issue.

You said your new supply has a 20-pin connector.  If it's actually one with a "20+4" (20 with a 4-pin add-on), then using the two +12V wires from the 4-pin section is the easiest.  Just insert those pins in where you removed the negative voltages.  I don't remember if the 316 needs the 4-pin CPU connection or not.  If it doesn't, or if the supply has two, you can use the +12V from it.  Other potential places to get it are the 4-pin Molex or SATA hard drive cables or a 6/8 pin video card connector, if it has one.

Before you do all that, there is one more thing you might try:  Jumper the green power-on pin to ground while the supply is connected to the NAS.  If the problem is just the power-on circuit in the NAS, then that could be all you need.  You'd be unable to properly power off the NAS, but you could still use it and certainly could recover your data.

Also, did you check the +5VSB (+5 volt standby) power on the supply?  That's what powers the power-on circuit.

Message 5 of 9
q3d
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

... I don't remember if the 316 needs the 4-pin CPU connection or not.  If it doesn't, or if the supply has two, you can use the +12V from it.  Other potential places to get it are the 4-pin Molex or SATA hard drive cables or a 6/8 pin video card connector, if it has one.

The 316 only has 20 pin connector for the MB, the 4 pin connector is not needed so I'll use those +12V wires for it.

The NAS powers up fine with the new PSU. I just wanted to ensure when I connect the +12V wires it doesn't blow anything up 🙂

I found this, however it does not specifically state it can be used for the RN300 / 316 series ReadyNAS:

https://www.readynas.com/download/archive/pdf/ReadyNAS_PSU_pinout.pdf

Is the diagram on the right (under "ReadyNAS NV, NV+ and 1100 use modified ATX power connector") also applicable for the RN316? (based on your description, it appears to also apply to the RN316)

The PDF shows that on the 20 pin connector, PIN 12 (-12V BLUE) changes to a +12V YELLOW wire as you described, and PIN 18 (-5V WHITE) changes to a +12V YELLOW wire as you also described.

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, the modifications to the 20-pin connector for the legacy NAS are the same as for the native OS6 ones.  You should be able to confirm that based on the colors of the wires in your old one.  Most of the later ones do need the 4-pin CPU power connector, so that supply won't work with those since it lacks one.  But since the 316 doesn't need it, it should work fine.

Message 7 of 9
q3d
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. All fixed and working.

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Great.  Always good to hear. The 316/516 are getting up in age where we may see more power supply failures showing up in the forum.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements