× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Decommissioning ReadyNAS

dave9191
Aspirant

Decommissioning ReadyNAS

Hey Guys, 

I am in the process of updating to a newer NAS and moving the drives over. I want to hand the old NAS to someone else but I want to clear any settings and information from it first. I moved the drives away and then I was going to log into the admin interface and do a factory reset. 

But after pulling all the drives I can't access the admin interface anymore. Is it the case that all the settings are stored on the hard drives I pulled and there is no internal storage for any settings? So after removing the drives I don't have to worry about any email addresses or passwords stored on the device? 

Many thanks, 

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
bedlam1
Prodigy

Re: Decommissioning ReadyNAS

The way you can Factory Reset is to use an old or spare hard drive if you have one, it will lose any data on it

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@dave9191 wrote:

Hey Guys, 

...after pulling all the drives I can't access the admin interface anymore. Is it the case that all the settings are stored on the hard drives I pulled and there is no internal storage for any settings? So after removing the drives I don't have to worry about any email addresses or passwords stored on the device? 

Yes - the NAS itself only has the boot loader and the current firmware image (with no settings).  All you need to do is remove the drives.  @bedlam1's advice on the factory reset is not necessary.

Of course if you are decommissioning the drives you will want to scrub them also.  Newer drives support an ATA secure erase command, and I believe vendor diags will use that in their destructive write test. 

Message 3 of 5
dave9191
Aspirant

Many thanks 🙂 

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On legacy systems the only things the system will remember as far as I can recall is if you last used X-RAID or Flex-RAID (so it can default to your last choice on the next factory reset) and if you installed EnableRootSSH the time that that was installed. If there is anything else it would be something similar.

All the personal settings and information are only on the disks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements