× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

✓ Solution

TheCHIMP_net
Aspirant

Default Admin/Netgear1 Logon Doesnt Work (#8463338)

Hello Forum

Long time reader, finally got the ReadyNas Duo 2150 for Chirstmas today! Very excited and was already planning my "wow, this set up incredibly easy" post of recommendation when I got to the logon stage after installing RaidAR.

Included Documentation Says Default Logon: admin Password:netgear1

Does not work.

Other suggested solutions mentioned on these boards that have not succeeded:
Tried from a vista and an XP machine, on firefox and IE - did not work
Uninstall RAIDar and Reinstall - did not work
Tried password "infrant1" instead of "netgear1" - did not work
Tried logging on directly to the 'IP address'/admin - did not work
Tried using "computer name" in place of "admin" -- did not work

Please, wise ones, I want to use the new NAS. How can the factory default password and logon be incorrect?!?
Message 1 of 29
stretch1
Aspirant

Re: Default Admin/Netgear1 Logon Doesnt Work - Out of the Box

the admin section on the ReadyNAS uses https and is probably being blocked by security settings of your web browser of firewall.

What, if any, messages do you get when trying to log on?

Note: During the log on process you will receive a warning message about security certificates.
IE uses reverse logic to protect people who blindly click yes without reading the message.
If you click yes, it WILL NOT open the web page. You have to click NO to open the admin pages.
Message 2 of 29
TheCHIMP_net
Aspirant

Thanks for taking a look:

Using "Https://"

After entering logon/pwd combo the logon box reappears immediately saying

'A username and password are being requested by http://192.[redacted].[redacted].[redacted]. The site says: "Control Panel" '

The weird thing is that the error message ends with that "The Site says "control panel"
Message 3 of 29
stretch1
Aspirant

OK.
I can get the same message by entering the wrong password.

Obvious question, is the CAPS LOCK on?
Otherwise, faq.php#How_do_I_reset_the_ReadyNAS_to_factory_default%3F
Message 4 of 29
Staffan1
Aspirant

A firmware reinstall could do the trick.

faq.php#How_do_I_re-install_the_firmware%3F

.staffan
Message 5 of 29
TheCHIMP_net
Aspirant

Stretch

Thanks for hanging in with me...

The System Reboot to Factory Defaults did not work either. Produced same error message.

The only modification I have made is that the drive (RND2150) came with 1X500GB drive and I swapped it for 2x1TB drives with Netgear compliant hardware and drives per their spec site. I did this pre-power up.

Is firmware next?

Netgear Tech Support on the phone was useless.
Message 6 of 29
Staffan1
Aspirant

Some browser seem to have problems with certificates that are not isssued by they trusted parties.

Retry and really really carefully read what links you click and what each message says. It's easy to click the big green link that is a "go away from the dangerous place" instead of continue on.

Have seen the reasking for password a few times but it's usually only to rewrite it.

.staffan
Message 7 of 29
stretch1
Aspirant

@ TheCHIMP

The "error message" isn't actually an error message. The login dialogue box always says that. I only just noticed.
The revert to factory defaults should have reset the password (i think).

If you're always immediately returning to the login prompt then I can only assume that something is interfering with the log in process.
Some suggestions:
Check that your PC firewall has an exception to allow the NAS through.
Check IE's security settings.
Message 8 of 29
TheCHIMP_net
Aspirant

Stretch

Thanks for keeping with me.

"Is Firewall preventing NAS from getting through"? - I turned off firewall. Still no luck

"Check IE security settings" - I want to follow stefan's suggestion and make sure that I didnt accidentally clickthrough on the wrong warning prompts I got from both Firefox and IE but I cant seem to "reset" that security. Where do I go to cue those prompts again? I tried deleting all private data and resetting browser to defaults, but didnt work.

Any additional thoughts to try these solutions out?

Netgear TEch Support - Call #3 still unsuccessful
Message 9 of 29
stretch1
Aspirant

The security warning in IE (we've both mentioned it) is pretty obvious.
iirc, Part of the address bar turns pink and you get two large shields appearing on the main screen.
One shield is Red with an 'X', the other is Green with a tick.
You're prompted with a question like "the security certificate doesn't match blah blah blah. Do you want to close this web page?"
Most people click yes without reading the question.
In this case you have to click 'NO, I want to proceed to the web page'

Firefox does something similar but it's not as "in your face" as IE.

For IE's security settings: Open IE, click Tools, Internet Options, Security, Local Intranet.
Security level should be medium-low.
You could also enter the IP address of the NAS in the trusted sites section. I haven't but it may help.

In Firefox settings are found under Tools, Options, Security & also the advanced tab.
On the advanced tab click view certificates, Servers, Add exception.
In that dialogue box, enter the IP address of the NAS and click "get certificate"
Message 10 of 29
TheCHIMP_net
Aspirant

Gave up on the NAS for 2 months. Sucks. Its been sitting on the rack useless...can't believe that straight out of the box the passwords didnt work and Netgear tech support is foreign, reading off a script, and incapable of doing anything, including calling back.

Very disappointed.

I did not have the error screens mentioned above.
Message 11 of 29
chirpa
Luminary

It will be admin/infrant1 or admin/netgear1. There is no other default possibility. If those still don't work, then I'd look at another computer/browser/disable proxy/virusscanner/etc.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16694
Message 12 of 29
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

A couple of other (possibly stupid) suggestions:

1. Make sure you did the factory default correctly. If RAIDar is not asking you to setup the NAS a couple of minutes after initiating the factory default, then you haven't done it correctly.

2. Did you do the factory default before or after you upgraded the drives? You need to do it after the drive upgrade.
Message 13 of 29
TheCHIMP_net
Aspirant

Chirpa: Thanks...

Neither logon/pw combo works (or has worked)
and even disablilng antivirus hasnt worked either...

have "reset" the NAS using the paper clip in the back 4-6 times too and repeated the above steps.
Message 14 of 29
chirpa
Luminary

Would you be willing to setup remote access for us, so we could connect to it and check it out more deeply?
Message 15 of 29
TheCHIMP_net
Aspirant

ewok wrote:

2. Did you do the factory default before or after you upgraded the drives? You need to do it after the drive upgrade.

EWOK, thanks for caring and checking in: Can you explain "upgrade the drives"? I did install my own new, compatible, 2X 1TB identical drives straight away right out of the box. I did this before even powering on the NAS for the first time and attempting the first set up.
Message 16 of 29
dbott67
Guide

I *think* he's asking if you did this after installing the new hard drives:

faq.php#How_do_I_reset_the_ReadyNAS_to_factory_default%3F

-Dave
Message 17 of 29
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Default Admin/Netgear1 Logon Doesnt Work (#8463338)

dbott67 is correct. You said you've done several factory defaults already, so that must mean the factory defaults were with the 1TB drives in there.

Not sure what else could be the problem. It's probably best for one of us to look at the NAS remotely.
Message 18 of 29
TheCHIMP_net
Aspirant

✓ Solution

SOLVED!!

I cant believe it....this is so random.

I zoned out watching TV while holding in the paper clip to hard reset and this time after 3-4 minutes, the NAS booted up in a different way than ever before. It took 10-20 minutes of "provisioning" time (my term, not a technical term seen anywhere) and then I was able to use the provided Netgear default login and password

admin/netgear1

To those who go after me, a few tips.

Keep the paper clip in for a long time
Watch the RAIDar screen all the way to the right and it will tell you what stage of the format it is in, this took about 20 minutes until I could even log in to the NAS
Once logged in, it immediately started mirroring my 2nd drive to match the first. Even though the first drive was empty, it still took this time to "sync" the drive. As they are both 1TB drives, it took 3+ hours to sync the drives even with nothing on them. I left it on overnight and it was done in the morning.

Thanks to Ewok, Chirpa, DG, and the Netgear techs...saviors.
Message 19 of 29
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

TheCHIMP.net wrote:

I zoned out watching TV while holding in the paper clip to hard reset and this time after 3-4 minutes, the NAS booted up in a different way than ever before. It took 10-20 minutes of "provisioning" time (my term, not a technical term seen anywhere) and then I was able to use the provided Netgear default login and password

If you weren't getting the "provisioning" time in your previous factory default attempts, you were probably doing a firmware reinstall instead, which doesn't reset the password. I'm glad you were able to figure it out. 😄
Message 20 of 29
dhs100
Aspirant

I would be VERY interested to know if you found a solution. I'm having the exact same problem...really, really annoying.
Message 21 of 29
chirpa
Luminary

dhs100 wrote:
I would be VERY interested to know if you found a solution. I'm having the exact same problem...really, really annoying.
Well doing the firmware re-install would reset the password: faq.php#How_do_I_re-install_the_firmware%3F
Message 22 of 29
DMG1
Aspirant

Hi,

We had a problem with similar symptoms (no passwords accepted, even after OS Reinstall), although ours was with a NAS that had been in-use for six months.

Here's what we think happened in our case:

1. The firmware partition filled-up with log files

2. With diminishing space, Samba was unable to create lock files, leading to more error logs. The lack of space prevented some services from even starting, blocking us out one protocol at a time

3. Inability to lock files prevented files from being opened correctly, degrading performance

4. Attempting to recover the OS included re-creating the password file, which failed due to insufficient space - we were left without ANY passwords for root or admin

5. The NAS was then running, but would not accept any log-ins

We resolved the problem by:

1. We removed the drives from the NAS and put them into a PC

2. We booted the PC off of a Debian boot disk

3. We mounted the RAID using mdadm - this gave us access to the root file system, but not our data

4. We used chroot to access the local file system, and used pwconv to recreate a shadow file (passwords) from our passwd file (user list)

5. We set new passwords for root and admin using passwd

6. We unmounted the drives, put them back in the NAS, and started it back up

We're currently copying-out our latest data, and intend to do a full OS reinstall to make sure there's no other corrupted/empty files waiting to bite us.

I hope that helps anyone else who encounters this problem!
Message 23 of 29
MHECS
Aspirant

The true solution: In your browser enter the ip address for your ReadyNAS Duo (2000 Model). For example: http://192.168.1.IP where IP = ReadyNAS ip address. Can also be found using the Raidar software by clicking setup button.

The enter this ending after the IP for example: http//192.168.1.55/password_recovery this allows you access through your home network to change the netgear1 password stated in the manual to anything you choose. Once you do this you should see the ReadyNAS UI for password recovery. Only peole on your home network can view this screen.

Change the password and then close the window then go to your Raidar Software and click the setup button. You will be asked for he login which is username = admin and password = new password and not netgear1.

This solution cannot be found online or in the manual this is why I am posting this solution.
Message 24 of 29
dbott67
Guide

MHECS wrote:
This solution cannot be found online or in the manual this is why I am posting this solution.

Actually, it's in the FAQ: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_reset_my_readynas_admin_password
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements