× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Delay in new ReadyNAS OS version being available for update?

geojay
Guide

Delay in new ReadyNAS OS version being available for update?

According to https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Firmware-Release-Notes/ReadyNAS-OS-6-6-1-now-available/m-p... 6.6.1 was released on 4th January but only today (17th January) has my ReadyNAS said there's an update available for installation. I'm aware I could download and install the update manually but I wondered if this delay on the 'simple update path' is deliberate to allow early adopters to find any issues with the update? It seems quite a long delay if there are security issues addressed by the update...

Thanks

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It was put on the update server last week.

Message 2 of 5
dschwartzer
Luminary

Geojay:

As of last week both of my ReadyNAS units were reporting that they were up-to-date.  I did a manual update of both servers and have not had any issues or problems.  It appears very stable and I see no reason not to do a manual update.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

Message 3 of 5
geojay
Guide

I'm just curious why there was such a lag before it being announced as being available for download and the update function on the NAS being able to see it? I realise I could have downloaded it as soon as it was available and uploaded it to the NAS...

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@geojay wrote:

I'm just curious why there was such a lag before it being announced as being available for download and the update function on the NAS being able to see it? I realise I could have downloaded it as soon as it was available and uploaded it to the NAS...

It'd be interesting to hear Netgear's take. 

My impression is that the lag is a fail-safe - they see if there are any early issues that show up with the manual updates before pushing it out to the masses.  That's just my impression though.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements