× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Delayed write to ReadyNAS Pro failed

pteittinen
Aspirant

Delayed write to ReadyNAS Pro failed

Online tech support case #14688578.

My RNPro worked fine for quite a while on 4.2.15, but now I can't write large files on it anymore.

Two days ago RNPro ran a scheduled volume consistency check. System sent me these two emails:

1) "Snapshot on volume C was invalidated and has been removed due to reserve space being completely used.."

2) "The on-line filesystem consistency check detected problems with your data volume. Please reboot the system with the volume scan checkbox enabled to do a full filesystem consistency check and repair."

Note: I don't have Snapshot enabled.

So I rebooted the box with volume scan enabled and got this:

Volume scan found no errors.
fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/c/c: 177906/304336896 files (22.9% non-contiguous), 2187992311/2434678784 blocks

And that's when the problems started. Trying to write large files (30GB+) on RNPro results in Windows XP popping up a note saying "Delayed Write Failed. The data has been lost."

Rebooting Windows XP box does not help. Rebooting RNPro does not help. Rebooting LAN switch/router does not help.

After a third large file failed to write on RNPro, I tried to save the files on another NAS box, a comparative model by another manufacturer. The files were saved on that box without problems, so the issue does not lie with my Windows box or the LAN.

Note that the volume consistency check has been run once a month and has never before caused this issue. Also note the Snapshot invalidation warning does not come up every time. When it does, system asks me to reboot the box with volume scan enabled. When the snapshot event is not detected, volume appears to be fine and a filesystem repair is not requested.

Let me know if you need more information to solve this issue.
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Delayed write to ReadyNAS Pro failed

I'd suggesting opening a tech support case and posting your case number in this thread.

If you have snapshot space allocated you will be able to run the Online Filesystem Check. The Online Filesystem Check creates a snapshot and uses that. If you make too many changes to the system while the Online Filesystem Check is running the snapshot will be invalidated. For this reason it is recommended to run the Online Filesystem Check when you are making minimal writes to the NAS.
Message 2 of 6
pteittinen
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
I'd suggesting opening a tech support case and posting your case number in this thread.

Will do.

If you have snapshot space allocated

I don't. Never have either.
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is this a Pro Business Edition or a Pro Pioneer?

If you have the Pro Business Edition snapshot space is set using RAIDar after a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) or on initial setup. If you don't choose to have no snapshot space, a small amount (10GB, I think) will be allocated automatically. Snapshot space cannot be resized at this time.

If you have the Pro Pioneer there is no snapshot feature in Frontview and 10GB (I think) is allocated for snapshots for use with the Online Filesystem Check.

If there is no snapshot space allocated you shouldn't be able to run the Online Filesystem Check.
Message 4 of 6
pteittinen
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Is this a Pro Business Edition or a Pro Pioneer? If you have the Pro Pioneer there is no snapshot feature in Frontview and 10GB (I think) is allocated for snapshots for use with the Online Filesystem Check. If there is no snapshot space allocated you shouldn't be able to run the Online Filesystem Check.

It's a Pro Pioneer, but I'm fairly certain I have seen snapshot feature listed in Frontview. Can't check now, since I rebooted the box with volume check enabled and it's going to take a while until I have access to it. I'll verify once Frontview becomes available.
Message 5 of 6
falco1
Aspirant

I know this is an old thread but I am having exactly the same problem as OP.
ReadyNas Pro Pioneer
The error I am getting is "Windows Delayed Write Failed, This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere"
This error occurs when I try to write large (greater than approx 2Gb) files to the ReadyNAS.
Any suggestions on what I do to fix this problem.
This ReadyNAS has worked ok up until the last Firmware update
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements