× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Different shares when using IP / hostname with ReadyNas 528X

Zero_G_
Aspirant

Different shares when using IP / hostname with ReadyNas 528X

Hey

I have a problem,  which is as follows:

My Network looks like this: Netgear Orbi, with DHCP Enabled = True .

My ReadyNas has a fixed IP adress (192.168.1.18). On Orbi, I have reserved the name and  IP adress in the range of Orbi's DHCP reservation.

I have the ReadyNas and the PC within the same workgroup.

When I open my windows explorer and enter "\\192.168.1.18", then I can see all shares as expected

When I enter the DNS Name of the device "\\mynas" then I only see:  shares like "\home", "\run\nfs4",  "\run\nfs4\data", "\run\nfs4\home"

What could that be? - It looks like with using the DNS the shares don't get mounted correct?

THX a lot

Model: RN528X|ReadyNAS 528X - Premium Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Your screenshot shows that you are accessing 192.168.1.18 with admin credentials (you are seeing admin, data, and home in the share list).

What happens if you enter this via cmd:

net use * /delete

net use t: \\mynas\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real nas admin password of course.  Be careful on the typing (spaces and slash direction).

The first command will end any open SMB sessions.  The second will attempt to mount the NAS admin volume (accessing it by hostname) as drive letter T.  If that works, see if you get the correct share list there.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Zero_G_ wrote:

What could that be? - It looks like with using the DNS the shares don't get mounted correct?

No.  DNS is just a way to associate the NAS name with it's IP address.

First try pinging mynas from the PC, and make sure it is reaching the ReadyNAS IP address.

Assuming it is, then the second step is to check the Windows credential manager, and see if there is a credential entered there for either 192.168.1.18 or mynas.  

Message 2 of 7
Zero_G_
Aspirant

Hey

No, I have deleted the Credentials as you provided, but nothing happens.

I attach an screenshot

1) Connecting by IP => Works

2) Connecting by Hostname => Gives wrong data

3) Ping with IP goes correct...

Please keep on helping 😉

THX

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Your screenshot shows that you are accessing 192.168.1.18 with admin credentials (you are seeing admin, data, and home in the share list).

What happens if you enter this via cmd:

net use * /delete

net use t: \\mynas\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real nas admin password of course.  Be careful on the typing (spaces and slash direction).

The first command will end any open SMB sessions.  The second will attempt to mount the NAS admin volume (accessing it by hostname) as drive letter T.  If that works, see if you get the correct share list there.

Message 4 of 7
Zero_G_
Aspirant

THX for your post.

I think, I found the solution with your help!

I tried your steps, but it ended up with error 1219, when using the net use

Then I run "net use" there I saw a "zombie mount" which was "\\mynas\run"

after deleting this mount, i started my PC new and added the new network resource.

Now it seems to work correctly

THX a lot!

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Various misconsepctions ...

1. Names can be translated to IP addresses by various protocols, WS-Discovery/mDNS, NetBIOS, ... and sometimes also DNS. Do you run an operate a DNS server? The Netgear routers do _not_  - different from other vendors - automatically rin DNS for e.g. DHCP hostnames for a certian local domain.

2. Any specific reason you have the NFS client enabled on your Windows 10 system? What you see when accessing by name are some more or less default NFS exports on the ReadyNAS - the "obvious" leading \ (don't ask me why they do it like that) indicated these are NFS exports. You can compare with your ReadyNAS by checking # cat /etc/exports

3. ... and very last, I don't now why Windows 10 NFS client seems to prefer NFS over more common transport protocols like SMB. Challenge Microsoft. 
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

The puzzle here is why \\mynas was using NFS, but \\192.168.1.18 was using SMB.

@schumaku wrote:
  1. Any specific reason you have the NFS client enabled on your Windows 10 system? What you see when accessing by name are some more or less default NFS exports on the ReadyNAS - the "obvious" leading \ (don't ask me why they do it like that) indicated these are NFS exports. You can compare with your ReadyNAS by checking # cat /etc/exports

FWIW, I have NFS enabled on one of my Windows 10 PCs also.  That's because my company's security policy disables SMB except when I am connected to their VPN. Seems silly to allow NFS always (while selectively blocking SMB), but they do.

When the VPN isn't connected, File Explorer gives me a list of \data\sharenames, but I don't see \run or \run\nfs4. However, I haven't enabled NFSv4 on the NAS

When the VPN is connected, File Explorer chooses to use SMB, so I see the usual share list.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements