× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disc Scrubbing Fails following 2 x 2Gb Memory Upgrade

pnwttc
Aspirant

Disc Scrubbing Fails following 2 x 2Gb Memory Upgrade

Hi All,

I've updated the memory in my ReadyNAS Pro 6 (which is populated with 6 x 1TB Seagate Drives with xRaid2 and dual drive redundancy) from the standard 1 x 1Gb DDR2 (6-6-6-18) to 2 x 2Gb DDR2 (6-6-6-18 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-6400-800MHZ KINGSTON KVR800D2N6/2G DIMM 240-pin RAM Modules). I've also tried 4GB 2X2GB DDR2 KINGSTON KVR800D2N5/2G DIMM 240-pin RAM Modules.

The device runs fine, but I have scrubbing configured on a weekly basis which fails after around 30 seconds after starting with either sets of the RAM modules installed. When I revert to the original 1 x 1Gb RAM module, the scrubbing runs fine.

I've tried turning scrubbing off, rebooting and reapplying scrubbing but the net result is the same

The ReadyNAS is running RAIDiator 4.2.26

Any thoughts

Regards

Martyn
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Did you run the memory diagnostic?
Message 2 of 11
pnwttc
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes, twice. No errors

Regards

Martyn
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Maybe run it for more passes. Clearly something is wrong, since the scrub failure clearly is tied to the memory.
Message 4 of 11
pnwttc
Aspirant

Have ran memory test for 6 cycles with no errors

I then removed one of the memory stick so the NAS only had 1 x 2GB RAM and the scrubbing worked fine. So it appears the issue is related to the use of 2 memory sticks and not the memory itself

Martyn
Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I have 2x1 GB in my pro-6, and scrubs work there. Some others have installed up 2x4 GB (viewtopic.php?f=110&t=48085).

Of course the pro-4 might behave a bit differently from the pro-6.
Message 6 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is the memory properly seated?

Are the two 2GB sticks the same model?

If you download the logs (Status > Logs > Download all logs), what is the date in bios_ver.log ?
Message 7 of 11
pnwttc
Aspirant

Hi,

Each set of 2 x 2Gb RAM is the same make/model and are seated correctly

The BIOS Version is 07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0

Regards

Martyn
Message 8 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like the 3rd party memory you have is incompatible.
Message 9 of 11
pnwttc
Aspirant

Yes, probably, but what is odd is that I currently have a single 2Gb memory stick from one of the kits installed and the scrubbing works perfectly. In fact it works on either of the 2Gb sticks from a kit, its only when both are installed at the same time it fails

Martyn
Message 10 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sometimes that can happen.

The only thing I can suggest is to try different memory or go back to the stock memory.

If you do upgrade the memory I do recommend running at least a few passes of the memory test before trusting it. Still memory can pass the memory test sometimes and still not be compatible so you would want to keep an eye on things for a while.

We don't support memory upgrades and in your system the stock memory works fine.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements