× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disc usage warning - Time machine backup

parishpete
Aspirant

Disc usage warning - Time machine backup

I had an 80% usage warning come up this morning on my ReadyNAS Duo.

Time Macine backs up to a single 1Tb drive. the drive has no shares set up on it.

The second drive has shares for other use.

Am I right in saying that Time Machine will reach a point where it simply overwrites earlier backups and the drive will stay as full as is safe for it to operate?

Any advice welcome

thanks

Pete

Message 1 of 3
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Disc usage warning - Time machine backup

Hi parishpete,

When you use Time Machine backup in your ReadyNAS, it will ask you to allocate space that will be used to backup your files from your MAC computer. You don't need to worry about your volume because Time Machine automatically deletes the oldest backup from the day it started to backup files. For more information, kindly check this article

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
parishpete
Aspirant

Re: Disc usage warning - Time machine backup

Many thanks for the answer.

It was one of those things I set up once and forgot.  I do recall choosing 900+gb as a limit.

as an aside, I really needed the backup a few days later as I had to do complete restore of Yosemite OS when El Capitan failed.

The bad news was that the Mac migration assistant software found the backup but wouldn't load it.

I had to go through finder and drag and drop from the backup

One further question (which may be better aimed at Mac users). I now have to set up time machine again. will it recognise that an earlier backup exist and carry on from there or will it ignore it and overwrite it

Many thanks for your help

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements