× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk capacity expansion error. vgextend with Ready NAS NV+

JBH2121
Aspirant

Disk capacity expansion error. vgextend with Ready NAS NV+

System specifications"

Model: Ready NAS NV+

Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.14

Disks: 2-Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB hardrives and 2-Seagate ST2000DL003 2TB hardrives

Raid: Raid-X

I've had this ready NAS since 2011 and it's worked great. I started with 4 1.5TB drives and over the years I've had various drive failures. After each one, I've upgraded the drives to new 2TB drives.  Recently the fourth and final 1.5 TB drive failed and I replaced it with a new 2TB drive. When I did the disk swap the Ready NAS initialized and re-synched the drive as advertised and I tested to make sure I full access to all of the files.  Worked great from a drive replacement standpoint but it didn't vertically expand the drive as I expected since it was the last 1.5 TB drive left.  I researched on the forum, and the recomendation was to reboot the system again which I did.  After the reboot I checked the log and it stated, "The first stage of the in-place volume expansion is done. Please reboot the device to complete the volume expansion."  I rebooted and on the next reboot I got two concerning log entries. "The paths fot he shares listed below could not be found" (listed my shares), and "Disk capacity expansion error. vgextend". When I viewed my volume settings I and 0MB(0%) of 0MB used with the following available disks.

Ch1. [1862GB]     1397 GB free

Ch2. [1862GB]      0 MB free

Ch3. [1862GB]      0 MB free

Ch4. [1862 GB]    1860 GB free

In short no consistency and obviously something has caused the vertical expansion to fail.

1. Is there any way to re-ititiate the vertical expansion in such a way that I won't loose all my data? I have the critical data backed up so it's not the end of the world, but some of the entertainment data I'll loose and it's a lot of time to re-create.

2. If the answer to #1 is no, you are out of luck, how can I get the system back to at least a usable system vs. a paperweight with 0MB of available memory?

Thank you for your help. 

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Disk capacity expansion error. vgextend with Ready NAS NV+

Perhaps check the SMART status on the disks.

1. Is there any way to re-ititiate the vertical expansion in such a way that I won't loose all my data? I have the critical data backed up so it's not the end of the world, but some of the entertainment data I'll loose and it's a lot of time to re-create.

I think you'd need someone from Netgear to take a look.  A per-incident support request is one possibility (last price I heard on that was $75).  Data recovery would be a lot more, but it is possible that they can get the array back on line w/o that.  (Data recovery is a separate contract anyway).

2. If the answer to #1 is no, you are out of luck, how can I get the system back to at least a usable system vs. a paperweight with 0MB of available memory?

A factory reset would rebuild the NAS from scratch

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps check the SMART status on the disks.

I think you'd need someone from Netgear to take a look.  A per-incident support request is one possibility (last price I heard on that was $75).  Data recovery would be a lot more, but it is possible that they can get the array back on line w/o that.  (Data recovery is a separate contract anyway).

A factory reset would rebuild the NAS from scratch

Message 2 of 3
JBH2121
Aspirant

I ended up going with the per incident option with Netgear.  I was skeptical becuase I didn't want to pay $75 just to have them walk me through a factory reset with no chance of getting my data back.  I'm still working on it with the technician but the $75 was well worth it considering what they can do.  It turns out the above code was generated because a second drive failed while they system was in the middle of the vertical expansion.  I started the vertical expansion because of drive failures, they were both the same age drives and apperently they were both ready to go at the same time.  The Netgear technician had me boot in tecnical assist mode and he was able to rebuild the array after I replaced the bad drive.  Still working on getting the right combination of drives to get everything fully back to normal but he assures me the data is healthy.  I know this is sort of a perfect storm to have a second disk fail during an expansion, but thought I would post the result in case someone else gets the same error message.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements