× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disk errors & a slow scrub - can I replace the drive during a scrub?

groupjdesign
Aspirant

Disk errors & a slow scrub - can I replace the drive during a scrub?

I have a readyNAS pro business - we are having a lot of problems accessing files. So I logged into RAIDar and found that volume c is syncing but it’s only moved from 5% to 13% in about 8 hours. The scrub started Sunday at 2:00am. Checking the logs I have disk errors on disk 2. I have a fresh spare ready. Can I stop the scrub to replace the disk without damaging the data? It’s set up with xraid2 with dual redundancy & RAIDar 4.2.31. If so what’s the best way to do this?
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Disk errors & a slow scrub - can I replace the drive during a scrub?

@groupjdesign wrote:
I have a readyNAS pro business - we are having a lot of problems accessing files. So I logged into RAIDar and found that volume c is syncing but it’s only moved from 5% to 13% in about 8 hours. The scrub started Sunday at 2:00am. Checking the logs I have disk errors on disk 2. I have a fresh spare ready. Can I stop the scrub to replace the disk without damaging the data? It’s set up with xraid2 with dual redundancy & RAIDar 4.2.31. If so what’s the best way to do this?

rebooting the NAS should stop the scrub. If it does, then you can just hot-swap the disks.

You could also try just removing the failed disk with the NAS running.  I think the scrub will continue, since you have dual redundancy.  But it should complete faster because the errors will stop. After the dust settles, you could hot-insert the replacement.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@groupjdesign wrote:

rebooting the NAS should stop the scrub. If it does, then you can just hot-swap the disks.

You could also try just removing the failed disk with the NAS running.  I think the scrub will continue, since you have dual redundancy.  But it should complete faster because the errors will stop. After the dust settles, you could hot-insert the replacement.

Message 2 of 3
groupjdesign
Aspirant

The reboot stopped the scrub & I was able to replace the bad drive & it’s rebuilding. Thanks for your help!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements