× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disk failure and now FrontView will not respond

nixlimited
Aspirant

Disk failure and now FrontView will not respond

I am beginning to think that my Ultra 6 destroys disks for sport. After losing 2 discs simultaneously on a 3-disc array and losing all my data, I rebuilt my array with 6 discs and dual redundancy. Yesterday I got an email that another disc failure was detected (3 months old) and while the NAS seems to still work fine, I cannot access FrontView. It will allow me to login through RAIDar, but it will not load the screen with any data. RAIDar itself seems to work as it shows the NAS and the disc that has been flagged as failed. Anyway, anyone have any ideas. I am scared to turn it off as last time I did that it never turned back on.
Message 1 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What do you see in the Info (far right) column in RAIDar?

Have you tried clearing your web browser cache (e.g. Temporary Internet Files)?

What's the status on the display on the NAS itself?
Message 2 of 13
nixlimited
Aspirant

Under info is 4.2.16. I have tried that and using multiple different browsers on different computers. No dice. The NAS says Vol. C degraded.
Message 3 of 13
nixlimited
Aspirant

Bump for help. Ordered a new Seagate ES disc today. Tired of disc failures.
Message 4 of 13
nixlimited
Aspirant

Bump...
Message 5 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you opened a tech support case? If so, please post your case number.

Have you inserted the replacement disk yet?
Message 6 of 13
nixlimited
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Have you opened a tech support case? If so, please post your case number.

Have you inserted the replacement disk yet?

No I haven't. Haven't had time this week. I am going to put the new disk in this weekend and I hope everything goes well. I was able to shut it down successfully.

Question: could having my disk spin-down setting be pretty short (e.g. 10 minutes) be leading to any of these issues I am having with killed disks? I am starting to think that "green" drives are simply incompatible with NASes.
Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What model disks are you using?

spin-down after 10 minutes does seem to be quite a short period to set.
Message 8 of 13
nixlimited
Aspirant

Well, my initial setup was 3 WD20EADS WD Green drives. After about 3 months, I had two discs fail simultaneously and the third disc failed a drive test. I RMA'ed all of them and added 3 Seagate ST2000DL003 Green drives to bring me to 6 drives with dual redundancy (i.e. 2 disc overhead). After 3ish months one of the ST2000DL003 drives just failed. I am now replacing that with a Seagate ST32000644NS, which is an enterprise level drive. My growing concern with the green drives is that the drive's own power management is fighting with the NASes power management and I am somehow creating failures by cycling the drives on and off too many times. I am going to turn the NAS power management (i.e. spin-down) off for the time being and I am going to replace any more failed drives with enterprise drives. I thought I could save money and power by using the desktop green drives, but it has been more than a headache thus far.
Message 9 of 13
nixlimited
Aspirant

OK, this gets stranger. I fired the NAS back up so I could do a hot swap and it seems to think the failed drive is fine now. It is rebuilding the RAID using the original failed disk, which is not showing as failed anymore. I am skeptical. I will update after it syncs totally... The good news is I am able to get into frontview again.
Message 10 of 13
nixlimited
Aspirant

Wanted to update this issue. I had another disk fail this past weekend and as soon as it did, FrontView would not load, despite my setup being X-Raid 2 with dual disk redundancy. I actually am not convinced that X-Raid works that well at all. Anytime I lose a disk, my NAS basically goes through a slow tailspin to completely dead. In the course of 2 days, I got reports of 3 different disk failures, but then when I restarted the NAS, it reported different disk problems. Even more annoying, the RAIDar page will show all 6 disks as green dots, when FrontView reports that one or more are dead.

Why on earth would you design an OS that is not functional/accessible when you have a single disk failure in a multiple redundant system? Could it be that I have a hardware issue?
Message 11 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What is the disk firmware on the SeaGate Green disks? You can check under Status > Health > SMART+ in Frontview
Message 12 of 13
nixlimited
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
What is the disk firmware on the SeaGate Green disks? You can check under Status > Health > SMART+ in Frontview

I'll check when I get home, but the disk that failed was a WD20EADS disk. I have ordered a few new disks to put in that are server grade.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements