× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disks swap between different chassis gen

mad_penguin
Aspirant

Disks swap between different chassis gen

Hi,

After a little bit less than 4 years of services, my brave little NV+ seems to have died during this week's holliday (went back home, found it off, no warning/status email, no way to power it on again : no LED, no fan, nothing).

Maybe it's just the PSU (with the tempest we had this week, maybe the power did some weird things), but maybe it's the MB. I don't have any way to confirm it, and it would probably be cheaper to change the whole system anyway.

However, NV+ can only be found used and are still quite expensive (at least half the price of a naked 104). I found this kind of pricetag pretty high for something which could possibly blew up the same way in a few months. More to the point, I'm already using ~80% of my 4x 2To disks in X-Raid.

Could be interesting to move to a newer chassis then. Probably a 104, as the 314 is a little bit on the expensive side as for now. However, before placing this kind of purchase (especially right after Christmas), I would like to be sure of something : if I take out my disks from the NV+ and plug them in a newer chassis (like a 104), will I be able to recover all my data, or will the disks be formatted ?

Thanks !
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your disks would need to be formatted as the RAID format is different.

You could try recovering your data using a PC: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306
Message 2 of 7
mad_penguin
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm, even if not what I was hoping for 😉

Looks like the data recover using a PC isn't a sure thing - seems that some people don't succeed at it. Anyway, could only hope to salvage the most critical data, as I don't have anything with 4-5 TB of free space to recover everything.

As my NV+ is still under warranty (thanks Netgear for the 5-years Warranty !), I'll try to get the NV+ working again (and then to backup the said critical data). Support sent me a new PSU and I swapped it, but the NV+ still don't boot : when I press the power, the fan don't start and I have a LED error message I wasn't able to find out on the charts. The disk 1 LED blink 3 times, then all LEDs (disks, activity and power) flashes quickly and simultaneously 3 times, then cycle back to disk 1 LED. Power button have no effect, I have to unplug it.

Any idea what this error could be ?
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

It might be corrupt root. Have you tried using RAIDar to see the status?

If you have a scratch disk, you could also try removing your existing drives (label them by slot) and see if powering up with just the scratch disk does the normal install.
Message 4 of 7
mad_penguin
Aspirant

RAIDar don't detect the NAS - no wonder, the LED on the nwk interfaces are off.

Tried to replace the disks by a single spare I had, no luck : exact same LED message.
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

You could get back to support, and tell them the new PSU didn't help.
Message 6 of 7
mad_penguin
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
You could get back to support, and tell them the new PSU didn't help.

Well, the new PSU helped (had no LED before), but yeah, I went back to support - awaiting for their answer.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements